Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,180   Online: 812

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Tried a new lab, got scratched slides :-(

I tried a new lab for my latest batch of E6. 5 rolls shot in 2 different cameras across several months... and they all came back with intermittent scratching on the base side. Argh! This is an expensive, professional, highly recommended E6 lab too. I like everything else about them - the processing was spot on, the slide mounts are smooth as silk in my scanner, the turnaround time was quick. But I just want to make sure it really was the lab. The scratches come and go (some slides have none) but when it's present, it's basically one scratch that wanders back and forth across a whole series of frames in a row, with little interruptions and dotted-line series of divots, followed by long continuous wavering lines. It's basically one long scratch, not multiple scratches, as if something were resting on the base side of the film as it was fed into the slide mounter? Not the perfectly straight scratch or parallel scratches you'd get from a problem with a camera pressure plate or cassette light trap.

Here's an example, with no ICE on the scan. ICE doesn't completely fix this, either :-( It's more horrific looking when magnifying the film as seen with a glare across it, but I don't have a good way to get a picture of that to show you.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    That's awful. What has the lab got to say?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    That's awful. What has the lab got to say?
    Just scanned them all in tonight, and therefore just noticed the scratches, so I haven't had a chance to contact them yet.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Also, I wount mind knowing what that is a picture of.

Shooter
    35mm
    By the positioning of the scratches and the break between the two lines I thin it can be ruled out that it was due to grit or other damage before being processes. Also it it had been done before processing there would have been physical damage to the 'raw' film which I know would have removed one or more colour layers and even gone right through to the base layer and been rendered clear film. (Been there, seen it, and done it myself that's how I know) The Lab has a few answers to give.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just be cautious before pointing fingers. I thought the same had happened to me, but I later found out it was a roller on a film back.

Shooter
    35mm
    It doesn't look at all like a camera problem, and the fact that you used two cameras over 5 films does seem to make the only common factor to be a lab issue. I'd take it up with the lab right away.

(I've had occasional similar (and other) problems in the past with so-called "professional" labs in the U.K. The best ones seemed to be those used by manufacturers for their films sold process-paid, but almost none of those left now. I have some E4 slides taken by my late Father in the 1960's, with the mounts printed "Processed by Kodak", and these are still immaculate, with none of the fading which has happened with a lot of E4.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Element 6 View Post
    Also, I wount mind knowing what that is a picture of.
    Just a little high speed cinematography mayhem with my brother and his giant air cannon, plus a junk shuffle alley he wanted to get rid of! Here's the d*g*t*l video - I'm still working through capturing the high speed 16mm stuff then I'll edit it up and put it all on YouTube:

http://backglass.org/duncan/burt_201...cannon_raw.mov
    http://backglass.org/duncan/burt_201308/pins_gopro.mov
    http://backglass.org/duncan/burt_201308/head_gopro.mov

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just be glad you have a lab around that still does E6.......

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    These were mailed several states away! I had previously used E-Six Labs in Atlanta, even farther away, a few times and loved them. And then they closed :-(

Duncan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin