Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,684   Online: 939

Thread: C 41 processing

Shooter
    4x5 Format

C 41 processing

I have returned to C 41 processing. The first two batches of negatives ( 24 total) done in a JOBO were normal. Subsequent batches have pale green cast (prints red on the contacts). Mixed new LORR LU Developer but no improvement. Re-bleached and re-fixed with fresh chemistry but no improvement. A year and half ago I had problem with high contrast due to inadequate bleaching ( assumed the new 400 Portra was exhausting the bleach prematurely).Re-bleaching and re-fixing solved it.
    For years I have been using traditional C 41 developer but wanted to avoid mixing and storing 5 gallons of replenisher. THE LORR LU requires mixing only 1.5 liters. Anyway, that's not the problem.
    What could cause the green tint in the negatives?
    Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Contaminated developer is the first thing that comes to mind.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Contamination is a possible but also think of a light leak somewhere. That will give greenish negatives. I know because it happened to me a couple of times when using a defective press on cap on a JOBO tank.

Once it is there and you had bleached and fixed it, there is nothing that can be done.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 11-29-2013 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any chance you fogged the film with the red LED temperature display on your Jobo?

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not think even the more experienced here are fully aware of how much fog can be caused by a tiny red light. I am talking about a light on a surge protector and even on a manual phone answering machine. It took me a long time to identify this cause and, still, I am dumbfounded with the damage such a tiny light can cause. Color negative film is VERY sensitive to this color. - David Lyga

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you to all. I have covered the red lights on the JOBO. My suspicion is that I have bleach staining due to exhausted chemistry although I don't use control strips to confirm it. Will try fresh everything later today.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin