Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,665   Online: 807

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodachrome Sheet film processing

Back when Kodachrome was made in sheet film ( 1938-51) where was it processed? Only in Rochester, or where there other Kodak labs around the world that could process it? If only Rochester, I'm assuming photographers would have had to mail in their film and have it returned by mail?

(No, this isn't intended to be another "bring Kodachrome back" thread, just historical curosity)
    Last edited by Craig; 12-04-2013 at 11:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sheet films were also processed outside Rochester including overseas. At least in one case even in a country were sheet films were not even on offer.
    But I do not know whether each Kodak Lab could process sheet film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Was sheet Kodachrome only processed by Kodak themselves? Or could independent labs or users do it? (I'm thinking that part of the advantage of Ektachrome, when it was introduced later, would have been independent labs or user-processing with some consequent time-saving for commercial uses?)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Up to the end of 1954 Kodak held in the USA the right to solely process Kodachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Canada, no-one else was in the market, so all Kodachrome processing was done by Kodak.

There were 3 labs open in Canada over the years. The western lab would not have been able to develop 120 or sheet film, as it was set up for still and movie film 135/126/828 and smaller. I'll ask my Dad if he remembers if the Toronto lab ever did sheet or 120 Kodachrome. I'm sure Brampton was too recent to have done it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Can you just imagine the beauty of an 8x10 piece of Kodachrome?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe these are 8x10 shots:

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...me-in-pictures

/Clay

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay2 View Post
    I've used the expression "The nation took its portrait on Kodachrome." This collection I exactly what I meant. Without Kodachrome we would all have a far less colorfully realistic sense of who we really are, and where we came from.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Can you just imagine the beauty of an 8x10 piece of Kodachrome?
    I've not seen 8x10, but I have printed 5x7 Kodachrome onto Ilfochrome. They are beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin