Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,322   Online: 798

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Flexicolor F2 kit for C-41 bleach and fix?

I just ordered and received the Kodak Flexicolor C-41SM Processing Unit F2 kit from Unique Photo. I want separate bleach and fixer, and here they are.

Is anyone using this kit? Can you confirm that the bleach is used full strength (as is, no dilution) and that the fixer is prepared one-to-one with water? That seems to be what's stated here. But since the kit isn't designed for the C-41 hack, I'm not real clear.

Also, the link above states one minute for the bleach and two minutes for fixer. This deviates quite significantly from the 6:30 times I'm used to. Are the shortened times assuming constant agitation (for minilab processors) and/or are these solutions specially formulated?

Finally, the kit I got says that it expired 2/2013. Do I care?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I'm still using flexicolor kits that expired in 09 and they work great so I don't think you need to worry about expiration.
    Minolta X-700, Nikon FM3A, Mamiya RB67 PRO-S

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Also, the link above states one minute for the bleach and two minutes for fixer. This deviates quite significantly from the 6:30 times I'm used to. Are the shortened times assuming constant agitation (for minilab processors) and/or are these solutions specially formulated?
    I know nothing about that specific kit you plan on using, but if you don't trust their times, you can always bleach and fix for as long as you want. You can neither over bleach nor over fix your C41 negs. Also, if you discover that you didn't bleach or fix long enough, you can redo these two steps, many times over if necessary and with film exposed to room light in between.

This means you won't lose your pictures if you follow their instructions for bleaching and fixing, right or wrong.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Use the Z-101 tech sheets that Kodak provides:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/busin...?pq-path=12342

The bleach and fixer are higher concentrations than regular C-41 so minilabs can process faster. The 1:00 for bleach and 2:00 minutes for fixer are what the sheets indicate. As far as dilutions go, it looks like the first doc in the Z-101 set gives some totals for the F2 kit so hopefully that will confirm the amounts. I've never used these kits so can't give you any experience based info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as the developer is not bad, you are OK.

BUT, the process as outlined in your reference appears to be for a stabilization (no wash) situation where the negs are scanned and turned into digital files and they are not returned to the user.

The film retains all of the silver salts and the hypo. But, since they are no longer to be used, there is no apparent problem.

So, by using the standard but longer times, a suitable process can be had for this chemistry.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Reading the Z-101 docs a little more carefully it looks like the developer is in the F1 kit and the bleach and fixer are in the F2 kit. Don't know much about these kits but it looks like you need F1 and F2 to get the complete set of chemistry. PE can you confirm?

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I should add that I'm NOT using the F1 kit for developer. I've been using the Kodak Flexicolor LU/LORR kit for developer, and the off-the-shelf final rinse. I've been using these with leftover bleach and fix from a Rollei kit, but those solutions (the separate bleach and fix) will soon need replaced. The F2 kit does contain only bleach and fix, and that's exactly what I need.

In any case, it sounds like I should stick to the six-and-a-half minute times, which I'm absolutely fine with.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also notice that the bleach here is actually dark green/black -- different than the red stuff I'm used to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bleach III is green. It is not red. They use a new complexing agent that is different than EDTA which is the traditional one used by most others.

As to the "mix and match" of chemistry and kits, I am not up to date on what is what. I do know that Trebla offers some good kits and good help to customers.

PE

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is "mix and match" a concern if I'm using separate baths for everything with a rinse in between? My C-41 is:
    Dev 3:15
    Stop/Rinse
    Bleach 6:30
    Rinse
    Fix 6:30
    Rinse
    Final Rinse 1:30

They're all Flexicolor chemicals in any case: LORR developer and now SM bleach and fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin