Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,681   Posts: 1,548,513   Online: 839

Thread: Expired NHG120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Expired NHG120

Have found quite a bit of Fujicolor NHG120 print film that has an expiration date of Jun 1999. I know the film has been frozen for nearly 4 years, but believe it was only refrigerated prior to that.

Anyone have experience using this dated film type?
    akfotog

Seneca/National 8x10, Cambo SCX 4x5, Tachihara Wood Field 4x5, Busch Pressman 4x5, Mamiya RB67 Pro SD, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Mamiya M645 1000S, Nikon F5, Nikon F100, Nikon F4S, Nikon FM2 Chrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    on older(like 5-6yrs old, which I COMMONLY shoot(cuz it's cheap !) film, I test a roll doing the following(all of the same scene, camera on a tripod, I'm not creating art here ):

shoot a grey card in 1-2 frames
    meter how you usually do(spot, ambient, etc., whichever way you regularly(and reliably) work, in general)
    if you have a warming filter(81A, or a skylight(not really warming since it's mostly pinkish, but helps at higher altitudes) use that on a few frames as well
    rate 1,2, and 3 stops slower than box speed(so 200,100, 50 for 400ASA(box speed) film)

My general guess is that you'll have a slower ASA by approx 1-2 stops, and some color shift towards blue/magenta. This is based on my shooting of a few purchased quantities of older(pre-2000 dated, but cold stored nonetheless) Fuji(especially) emulsions. Kodak and Agfa usually went somewhat blue, Agfa sometimes went a bit warmer(which I liked personally).

Have fun, make sure to test though prior to committing time and energy to shooting stock that might just be good to grace the trash can's presence, and not your camera

cheers,
    -Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been shooting Ektacolor Pro 160 from 1999 recently and I would definitely agree with Daniel. I have been getting a lot of blues but otherwise good. I've been shooting it at 125 so maybe half a stop slower and that seems to be working.

In terms of Fuji, I shot a whole pile of NPH 400 that expired in 2005 at a wedding this summer and it was perfect. Skin tones were amazing. I can't remember but I would guess that I metered for 320 or 250 ISO.

If you're doing that thing that we're not allowed to talk about on this site then the color shifts shouldn't be an issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's an example of some of the blue color cast, this is the Ektacolor Pro exp. 1999.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ektacolor-pro-160.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use many sorts of expired Fujifilm - even when not refrigiratored - and had no problems yet.
    Sometimes some beautiful color shifts I mostly like and won't correct.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice all. I'll shoot a test roll this weekend.
    akfotog

Seneca/National 8x10, Cambo SCX 4x5, Tachihara Wood Field 4x5, Busch Pressman 4x5, Mamiya RB67 Pro SD, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Mamiya M645 1000S, Nikon F5, Nikon F100, Nikon F4S, Nikon FM2 Chrome.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin