Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,057   Online: 1212

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    EKTAR is in the Kodak Professional lineup as well...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I certainly do not pay three times the price for it. I watch for sales and then stockpile it. I know it is possible to carry extra backs loaded with 120 but that is even more bulky. And you have to reload those backs sometime. Portra 400 and Portra 160 are my go to color films and I use a lot of it. I know that 220 will eventually go the way of the dinosaur, but while it is here I just keep on shooting it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't get it either. I have some 220 because I got it in a box of supposedly frozen film I bought off the 'bay, and the film all works perfectly, so I bought a 220 insert for my 645 for $15. For that price it was worth it for the occasional roll I might run into - works fine in the same backs, plus I can shoot it in my Yashicamat 124.

If B&W films I liked were available in 220 for no more than twice the price of 120 I'd use it - some. But to my mind one of the advantages of medium format anyway is that I'm not stuck with 30+ shots on a roll and take five or ten of some subject then have a roll of film totally unsuited to the light/subject/intent still in the camera with 2/3s of it to go next time I go out photographing. The 12 shots from my Yashicamat are about perfect. Sometimes the 15 from my Mamiya are already too many. This applies mainly to film slower than, say, 400. If I could get Tri-X or HP5+ or Delta 400 or TMY in 220 I'd probably shoot that in the Yaschiamat because I use it 90%+ for black and white anyway.

But pay way more per shot? No way. They might as well just dig the hole and push 220 the rest of the way in before I'll do that.

Shooter
    35mm
    I find this frustrating as well, mainly because it costs no more to develop 220 over 120 at my lab. When I have 220 in a camera, I feel less concerned about taking a shot that isnt perfect. 30 shots in 645 is very freeing. Mistakes dont bother me as much, and I will take extras just to make sure I got a decent shot.
    12 shots is OK, but 24...again, limits that preciousness of each frame.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll bet you that B & H buys way more 120 film than it buys 220.

As do Adorama and Freestyle.

And they may be buying it from different sources as well, as Kodak no longer distributes film directly to retailers.

So they get better prices on the volume buying. And their customers get better prices from them.

If Holgas took 220, the prices would probably come down.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd go for the Lomo suggestion but they wouldn't be able to use their little red windows anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin