Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,427   Online: 781

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film was coated on extra thin Estar support so more film could be fit into one back and thus more exposures per unit weight. The Ektachrome film was processed by Kodak and then internegatives were made. Those were printed on 16x20 Ektacolor 70 paper processed in a junior Calumet basket processor.

The Ektacolor 70 was still in prototype then so we used a special run. I personally made the prints and processed them. A team of us did the dry mounting.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I said, the BEST photograph ever to come out of NASA. I was 14-years-old. Forty-five years later and it still stops me stone cold every time I see it. Mere words of description are woefully insufficient.

Yeah, it made that big of a humbling impression...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Hasselblad strikes again!

Watch the video

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/nasa-...ter-2D11783463

Thank you,

I shared it on Facebook.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The film was coated on extra thin Estar support so more film could be fit into one back and thus more exposures per unit weight. The Ektachrome film was processed by Kodak and then internegatives were made. Those were printed on 16x20 Ektacolor 70 paper processed in a junior Calumet basket processor.

The Ektacolor 70 was still in prototype then so we used a special run. I personally made the prints and processed them. A team of us did the dry mounting.

PE
    Allow us a moment, but to bask in your glow; I'm a NASA guy and I know it takes a cast of thousands, thanks for being there when we needed it

-Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great video, i love how they edited it to bring together video, still shots, and voice recordings to help explain this iconic image. Must have been tiny shooting it with a peep sight.

PE, how was handling that film? Until you made the internegs, i bet it must have been nail bitting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having worked at the Cape and at EK, I know that there is a cast of thousands to get a bird off the ground. No one man can do it alone. Making a pretty print is one of the smallest and most humble of those tasks, especially when compared to those who must face that ride up, and the vacuum.

All I have are a few pretty pix and awe at their achievement. They have the real memories.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    So PE, did you scootch a print aside for yourself?

I'd have printed a pile!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Considering how famous the prints are, I'd think they'd have offered you a ride in thanks.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    This was Christmas 1968. Christmas Eve, exactly. I was 11 years old (almost 12). I glued myself to the TV set the whole time, absolutely in awe. I remember at that time, I had the concept of the number of people who it must have taken to do this. This was the year I got the Concord F-20 tape recorder. And I'm sure another couple rolls of KX126-20 for my Instamatic. But Apollo 8 was the neatest part. I'm glad I got to live through this. And to be sure, these were Kodak's finest hours to date.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin