Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,380   Online: 1088

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was probably coming to grips as a 7-year old with Dad's Box Brownie at the time. Gosh, it is a long time ago...
    That defining picture made earth look singularly small and insignificant. Of all the technology available today, here on earth, zooming around the cosmos or treading the martian dust on Mars, no image has been so profound and inspirational in defining a moment in time far, far away.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    BTW: the colour image by William Anders is the famous one, but the first shot was made on B&W film by Frank Borman.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AS8-13-2329.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	626.3 KB 
ID:	78822 (first shot in B&W) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	304.0 KB 
ID:	78823 (later shot "Earthrise" in colour)
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    BTW: the colour image by William Anders is the famous one, but the first shot was made on B&W film by Frank Borman.
    The black-and-white one looks noticeably sharper. How so? How much more "infinity" can you be than that??

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The video voice indicated it was shot at F11 at 1/250. No auto meters apparently. What was the ASA of the film.

Awesome shot. It still stops me cold with feelings of personal insignificance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That was amazing!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AS8-13-2329.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	626.3 KB 
ID:	78822 (first shot in B&W) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	304.0 KB 
ID:	78823 (later shot "Earthrise" in colour)
    Maybe it's just the novelty of it (I hadn't seen it before) but I prefer the B&W version.

Imagine to make a print from that negative, watching the image appearing in the developer...
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The video voice indicated it was shot at F11 at 1/250. No auto meters apparently. What was the ASA of the film.
    I'd guess the film would be ASA 64, figuring "sunny 16" accounts for atmospheric absorption/scattering when photographing on the earth's surface, so maybe from space through a window the rule might be more like "sunny 22." Presumably the folks at NASA and Kodak were calculating this or maybe even testing it, so there would be no difficulty in determining exposure. The audio also mentions that they bracketed a couple of frames.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Having worked at the Cape and at EK, I know that there is a cast of thousands to get a bird off the ground. No one man can do it alone. Making a pretty print is one of the smallest and most humble of those tasks, especially when compared to those who must face that ride up, and the vacuum.

All I have are a few pretty pix and awe at their achievement. They have the real memories.

PE
    Frankly I do my best work in a vacuum.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post

Awesome shot. It still stops me cold with feelings of personal insignificance.
    Hasselblads were purely mechanical gems, no light meters, no electronically timed shutters, back then. No worry about dead batteries.

The emulsion was Ektachrome, ASA 64. References to 'custom' are explained by PhotoEngineer's explanation of the Estar thin base medium, to accommodate more exposures in the very limited supply of film on board.

Independently, both my wife and myself got up very early on many mornings watching the first Mercury missions, then the Gemini, as children. To think that we went from 1961 first man into space (Carpenter) to 1968 first orbit of the moon and then the first moon walk in 1969 is rather remarkable in view of the many aborted launch attempts due to technical issues or to weather.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan Sheppard was the first man from the US to make a suborbital flight and John Glenn was the first US Astronaut to make an orbital flight. The first man in space was the Russian Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin.

PE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin