Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,547   Posts: 1,544,525   Online: 994
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: arista E6 + c41

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,306
    Blog Entries
    5
    Images
    50

    arista E6 + c41

    hi

    i know the long 17 page thread exists, and stone's thread in the soap box exists
    but can someone who has used these 2 kits recently tell me about them.

    i know they are liquid kits ( sold at freestyle ) ... are they complete or do i need to buy
    something else that a novice like me doesn't know about?
    do they NEED be used 1 shot?


    the packaging gives a specific time for processing, is it always that time no matter what?
    is it the same agitation methods as b/w ( 1 min continuous, then 10sec/6 sec) or is it different?

    ive never processed color before, always sent out to a lab and i have too much of it on hand to
    just process it b/w or give it away ...

    thanks
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

  2. #2
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,333
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi

    i know the long 17 page thread exists, and stone's thread in the soap box exists
    but can someone who has used these 2 kits recently tell me about them.

    i know they are liquid kits ( sold at freestyle ) ... are they complete or do i need to buy
    something else that a novice like me doesn't know about?
    do they NEED be used 1 shot?


    the packaging gives a specific time for processing, is it always that time no matter what?
    is it the same agitation methods as b/w ( 1 min continuous, then 10sec/6 sec) or is it different?

    ive never processed color before, always sent out to a lab and i have too much of it on hand to
    just process it b/w or give it away ...

    thanks
    john
    You mean I actually get to teach you something???!!

    The only thing the Arista Rapid E-6 kit does not come with is the stabilizer... And it is all liquid, very easy to mix.

    The times in the E-6 kit in the instructions are very simple, and they give you a calculation for extending the use of the color developer multiple times using a simple mathematical adjustment per development after the first.

    The C-41 kit I got from them was powder and I haven't used it yet so I can't vouch for them but they did NOT give any calculation for extending the use past the first time in the instructions...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  3. #3
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,333
    Images
    225
    PS The reason the stabilizer is not included as far as I understand it, is that they don't believe it's necessary for current films that are made more stable than the older ones, however PE suggests picking some up.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  4. #4
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,333
    Images
    225
    PPS oh almost forgot PE also recommends that you extend the Blix time a little bit as he believes that the combined bleach and fixer will not fully get all the silver out with the given times.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  5. #5
    Ektagraphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,720
    Images
    23
    I don't exactly have an answer for you but want to wish you good luck John! I am sure that you'll be doing well in no time
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,306
    Blog Entries
    5
    Images
    50
    thanks patrick!

    and thanks stone ,,,
    i dont think if i do it i will bother with the extra stuff ..
    its just going to be for fun, and ill do the evil electronic afterwards ..

    thanks again!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

  7. #7
    Rudeofus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,653
    Images
    10
    The "extra stuff" is necessary for long term color stability, and according to PE it is required for E6 film, but not for modern C41 film. Even if you go the hybrid route, you may appreciate if your original slides don't go bad after a few years ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

  8. #8
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,333
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    The "extra stuff" is necessary for long term color stability, and according to PE it is required for E6 film, but not for modern C41 film. Even if you go the hybrid route, you may appreciate if your original slides don't go bad after a few years ...
    So far mine are ok... I'll probably re-dip the good ones in Stabilizer from the C-41 powder kit when I use it.

    Good luck john
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  9. #9
    Rudeofus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,653
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    So far mine are ok... I'll probably re-dip the good ones in Stabilizer from the C-41 powder kit when I use it.
    Your C41 kit may or may not have a stabilizer that works for E6. See this thread for a technical explanation. On page 2 of that thread there is also a recipe for making a suitable E6 STAB yourself.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

  10. #10
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,333
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Your C41 kit may or may not have a stabilizer that works for E6. See this thread for a technical explanation. On page 2 of that thread there is also a recipe for making a suitable E6 STAB yourself.
    Thanks!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin