Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,698   Online: 827

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pulling Provia 100F ?

I recently shot some Provia 100F, 120 format, slightly expired, and may have overexposed (by no more than one stop) a few critical frames. I've read that Provia can be pulled up to one half stop. Do I want to ask the lab to do this, or does it amount to splitting hairs? The frames are portraits shot at the beach, full sun, f11 at 1/200 or so. I would like to print these optically -- using RA4 reversal, internegatives, or possibly projected to instant film. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A one-stop over-exposure is significant for Provia 100F, but nowhere near a calamity like when using Velvia 50 or 100. I would ask the lab for a clip test of the first two or three frames and leave it to your judgement (and/or theirs) as to how the rest should be processed. I have over-exposed it by accident +0.3 to +0.5 and it has held up well, but this emulsion, like the Velvias, favours diffuse illumination, not bright sunlight, so you proceed with caution. Though photographers do push/pull Provia and Velvia, there will always be a casualty with getting a sub-optimally exposed film over the line.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. Problem with a clip test is that the roll was shot rather casually -- i.e. without a meter. So all the frames are bit different in terms of exposure. I had originally planned to cross-process it, but changed my mind based on these few frames.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've pulled Velvia 50 1 stop when shot at 25, and it came out nicely. You can pull much more than half a stop.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. Do you have or can you post a sample of Velvia pulled one whole stop?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The 100F pulls quite poorly compared to earlier versions of Provia. You can do it maybe half a stop, but why? A complete waste of time, in my
    opinion, unless you're simply trying to salvage and incorrect exposure in the first place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    The 100F pulls quite poorly compared to earlier versions of Provia. You can do it maybe half a stop, but why? A complete waste of time, in my
    opinion, unless you're simply trying to salvage and incorrect exposure in the first place.
    Well that sounds like exactly what the OP is trying to do, salvage accidental bad exposures.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "Trying" is about all I meant, Roger.... Even attempting to salvage exp error is usually a waste of time. You might save the midtones, but the
    highlights risk either crossover or simply blowing out. With the exception of Astia, once these Fuji films went into their "F" versions, they traded off certain other potential qualities. Originally, even Velvia could be predictably pulled.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Interesting. Do you have or can you post a sample of Velvia pulled one whole stop?
    I've done it 4 stops before, for someone that overexposed Velvia 4 stops, saved the entire dynamic range, but it was off colour and low contrast, fixable with scanning, but still if I was going to do it that extreme again, I'd alter the developer rather than altering time/temp. If you have definitely overexposed I would definitely get it pulled. It beats blown out slides. I work in a lab and all too often I see a lot of overexposed slides that come here for processing.

It was expired by about a month but cold stored.

Velvia 50 Old Test by athiril, on Flickr

I would run a test of Provia 100f normal processing at normal exposure + overexposed plus 1 stop pull process with normal exposure + overexposed (compensated for in the pull) but the film is just too pricey here.

I am willing however to run that same test on the current Agfa CT Precisa made by Fuji.
    Last edited by Athiril; 01-02-2014 at 09:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin