Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 763

View Poll Results: How many rolls would you shoot?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • <5 rolls/year

34 59.65%
  • 6-20rolls/year

15 26.32%
  • 21-50 rolls/year

4 7.02%
  • 51-100 rolls/year

3 5.26%
  • 100-250 rolls/year

1 1.75%
  • 250-500 rolls/year

0 0%
  • 500+ rolls/year

0 0%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    StoneNYC:

In 35mm: My current colour consumption (125 - 175 rolls/year is my "guesstimate") is slightly skewed because I am in the midst of a project documenting life on Vancouver Island, a labour that will likely take another 1 -1 1/2 years to complete. Once the Ektachrome is done, I expect to be switching to Provia/Velvia, shooting, I would guess, something in the neighbourhood of 75 - 100 rolls /year. In terms of black and white, I typically shoot around of 100 -125 rolls/year of Tri-X/HP5 Plus (I use them interchangeably) along with a brick or so a year of Delta 3200.

In 2 1/4: Colour work - 50 rolls/year? - is done on Velvia 50; black and white (the majority of my medium format work) is either PanF Plus or FP4 Plus, depending upon the season. Typically, I order in 100 roll (60/40 - PanF Plus - FP4 Plus) lots from B&H or Adorama at least once every 8 months or so.

A lot of film for someone who no longer shoots professionally? Perhaps. But, a) I live on the Left Coast ( read: spectacular scenery, in the city and surrounding areas); b) I love to travel; c) I love to shoot photographs; and d) I do not, nor have I ever, owned a television set (read: I do not live a sedentary lifestyle).
    That's pretty awesome

I suggest you stock up now on Fuji chromes, they are about to have a price hike

Then again you don't really seem to be worried about money much...

I certainly would shoot a heck of a lot more chromes if I could afford to...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    At $100 a roll, I would budget for 10 a year, $50 a roll, 20, etc. basically an annual budget of $1,000 unless a special project dictated a need for more. I hardly shoot color anymore but do have some 4x5 Velvia that I intend on getting some Ilfochromes made from in the next year...
    Stop being awesome, it's not fair to the rest of us
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    No, considering what we are talking about five is as worthless a "commitment" as is zero.

...and recall your 3rd grade arithmetic, sonny.
    Huh? I don't follow you.

0 is worthless
    5 is worth 5...

I don't know what you learned in 3rd grade but I was already past addition and onto long and short division at that point...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone... anything below about 51-100 per year (pure guess on my part) is "spit in the ocean". That is the point I am hoping you can follow. Re: 3rd grade, I didn't go to 3rd... I skipped it and went straight to 5th.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd probably not use it. Slides are OK but I like prints better. Is it even possible to print it without Cibachrome being available?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    snip...

Then again you don't really seem to be worried about money much... snip
    I'm not sure if it's a matter of worrying about money, StoneNYC, as it is a matter of wanting to grasp the moment and celebrate being alive and all the beauty that surrounds us! Is there a better vehicle for doing so than pursuing one of the "arts"? As I have mentioned in other posts, I have an almost pathological fear of missing "things" to the point that at least one (and often two) of my Nikons are always loaded and nearby; indeed I never leave the house without a camera (Jay Maisel's advice). A future with Velvia/Provia? I am more concerned to use the Ektachrome I have in stock, before committing to purchasing more E6; given the shrinkage of Fuji's offerings in the recent past, I wonder about the availability of processing in the future...
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    zero....not even if it were priced on par with E6.

I love color prints. However, after nearly four decades of using whatever C-41 was on sale and enjoying high quality, fast, local processing at reasonable prices, I've pretty much given up on color photography - both print and chrome. Processing has become an expensive crap shoot. The few labs that are left take a week minimum and often as not produce shitty results.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Stone... anything below about 51-100 per year (pure guess on my part) is "spit in the ocean". That is the point I am hoping you can follow. Re: 3rd grade, I didn't go to 3rd... I skipped it and went straight to 5th.
    Pennies add up you know...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    I'm not sure if it's a matter of worrying about money, StoneNYC, as it is a matter of wanting to grasp the moment and celebrate being alive and all the beauty that surrounds us! Is there a better vehicle for doing so than pursuing one of the "arts"? As I have mentioned in other posts, I have an almost pathological fear of missing "things" to the point that at least one (and often two) of my Nikons are always loaded and nearby; indeed I never leave the house without a camera (Jay Maisel's advice). A future with Velvia/Provia? I am more concerned to use the Ektachrome I have in stock, before committing to purchasing more E6; given the shrinkage of Fuji's offerings in the recent past, I wonder about the availability of processing in the future...
    I mean simply you can afford to shoot that much, I simply couldn't shoot that much and also not die of starvation from lack of eating food for a year ... Lol

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's starting to look like a mistake.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin