Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,806   Posts: 1,581,416   Online: 1150

Shooter
    Medium Format

Brown negatives on outdated C-41 film, do I need to re-blix?

I just processed C-41 for the first time using a Tetenal kit in a Jobo CPE. I had two rolls of 120 Porta 160 in there that look pretty good with a normal orange base.

I also had a 10-year old roll of 35mm Fuji 1600 in there that was almost certainly not stored well before it was given to me. That roll came out with a really brown base although I can see images there. The Tetenal instructions suggest that it needs to be re-blixed but I wonder if this could just be something to do with the age and ISO of the film? The other rolls came out fine so obviously I did something right.

The film is still drying right now so I'm not able to evaluate how it scans.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My advice is to wait and confirm that the fresh rolls are fine. The other one is a bit of an outrider especially considering this is your first ever C41 developing session.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, old C41 film does tend to have a darker brown base. Blixing longer doesn't help; what you're looking at is basically fog; I'm surprised you got anything usable from 10 year old ISO-1600. I've got some 2002 400VC and it looks really bad but you can scan a decent image from it.

Since you also processed some fresh rolls and they came out looking normal, your process is likely fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's kind of what I was thinking. A roll of 1600 film that had been sitting in the bottom of a camera bag for many years would be fogged or something. It does have images on it but I don't have enough experience with colour neg to be able to really evaluate them.

I'll scan the film and see what I get and maybe post a few here.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin