Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,077   Online: 932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Aquiring CD-3 in Europe and ECN-2 at home.

Hello!

Me and my friend are planning to start using motion picture stock for our color photography needs - we both have a 400' roll of 500T waiting for action. Remjet removal is not an issue but however developing is. We could settle for the hue shifts and instability caused by C41 processing but since mixing up our own color developer is quite economical and we have source for bleach and fix and stabilizer, then why not take full advantage of the emulsion and do ECN2.
    Now, the key ingredient as you all know is CD-3, which can be obtained at Artcraft cheaply BUT since we live in the other side of the ocean, Artcraft does not ship it here (something about ORM-D). Where could we get a supply of it at Europe is the first question here. Kodak would probably gladly sell us some but it comes in 25kg drums which is enough to last us for the coming 400-something years. A bit overkill and we are on a budget here. Long story short - where would one start looking for CD-3 in Europe? Powder form, please, for shelf life.

Second question concerns the shelf life and yield of mixed chemicals. Bleach and fix would be regular C41 ones most likely (or ferricyanide bleach and foma rapid fixer modified for colour use if everything else fails) so the shelf life and yield is known and even better - easily testable and if problems occur, rebleach and refix are easy to do. Stabilizer is also a must, no? Final wash will just do the trick (did not notice a stabilizing step in Kodak documentation)? The concerning part here is the developer - for how long could it last when partially used and stored in an airtight black plastic bottle, filled to the rim? I have heard that ECN developer has no additives to make it last longer like some developers do and if so - could I add something to make it last longer? Plan is to mix up half a liter to liter once a month and just use it as we go. Could be better if one could use it for lets say 2-3 months.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fototechnik Suvatlar in Hamburg:

Pricelist:

http://moersch-photochemie.de/moersc...ine%202013.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Fototechnik Suvatlar in Hamburg:

Pricelist:

http://moersch-photochemie.de/moersc...ine%202013.pdf
    Woah! That was fast! Thanks! I'll hear other people's suggestions too, trying to source the cheapest one!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You also may find this thread interesting:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/1...chemistry.html

But you will hardly find another source for CD-3 (aside bulk) in Europe than Suvatlar .
    Last edited by AgX; 01-05-2014 at 07:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll look around and hear others, we aim to run our first test strips in a few months. I am currently scavenging for lab equipment and bottles and doing research on the process itself. The low contrast seems even good for scanning since I wont be making RA4 prints anyway directly and I could pull more detail out of the neg. Plus hello - high speed, fine grain tungsten stock! Even the formula for developer seems simple and elegant...well, except for the antifoggant but people tend to skip that anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    +1 to Suvatlar, he is the best and most reputable source in Europe for this kind of compound, and he ships at least within EU boundaries, if not beyond. They also have the other chems you will need for this. If something is not on their price list, chances are good that they can source it for you (e. g. AF-9, AF-2000). You can contact Mr. Suvatlar in English language, he usually answers emails within less than 24 hours.

From what I read, the ECN II color developer does contain HAS, which is the preservative, so it should last about as long as C41 color developer, i. e. a few weeks. I recommend you mix only as needed for processing.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dont see any HAS in the bulk chemical recipe. http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...h247_h2407.pdf page 30
    However, I have some HAS at my disposal, couldn't that mess up the pH? AFAIK it is strongly alkaline.
    I plan on skipping the antifoggant.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...8-0&Start=2You

You should have said earlier and Rudulph would have sleighed it around... normally you need an accelerator as well BTW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 for Fototechnik Suvatlar.

I bought chems for Barry Thornton 2 bath. Just write to him and ask for a quotation.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CD3 has been purchased from silverprint. I do plan to use Kodak's published recipe although AF2000 and Anticalcium will be omitted.
    There has been discussion about using this recipe over here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...ial-use-2.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin