Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,878   Online: 963

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Tetenal E-6 first time

I am preparing to process my E-6 slides film myself for first time. The Tetenal instructions I read call for 12 rolls for 1 Liter kit. Since I only have a Patterson Tank that holds two rolls at a time. Can I process 2 rolls at a time in 500ml. discard at 6th, then 6 more rolls in the remaining 500ml. ? is this ok ? Do I need to compensate time for 1-2, 2-4, 5-6 roll ? if so, how much.? I didnt understand that in the instructions I read.

I guess I do not understand the time table in the PDF very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

If you are mixing half the kit ( making 500ml at a time which is OK ) and you develop two rolls at a time, you develop the first two using the normal time. Develop the next two, but add 15 seconds to the first developer time and 1 minute to the color developer and bleach times. For the last two rolls, add another 15 seconds to the first developer and another minute to the color developer and bleach. Example, first two rolls, first developer is 6:15, next two rolls is 6:30, and the last two rolls at 6:45. After that, yes, your 500ml is done ( can probably squeak out a few more rolls with a little degradation in quality ). One factor is how long it takes you to develop all six rolls, mixed chemicals don't keep long. Expect to tweak things a bit as you get your process down, but that will get you an image. Temperature control is also important, make sure you have a way to control it start to end. If you decide you really like doing this, look for a Jobo on ebay. I have one and like it. I mix just what I need for the drum I'm using ( need less chemical ) and use it one shot ( discard chems after first use ). There have been a few times when I was doing a lot of rolls where I reused the chems for another pass.

Joel

Shooter
    35mm
    If I mix the entire kit and develop all the 12 rolls in one day, 6 and 6 , I am sure it will take me a good portion of the day from beginning to end. Will the mixed chemicals last at least one day ? or if I get too tired, do the second 6 the next day ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They do have a short shelf life but not that short. If the bottles are full with very little air, I have gone several weeks with mixed E-6 chemistry with no noticeable impact. The storage time will get shorter the more exhausted the the chemicals are ( meaning if you develop two rolls then wait 3 weeks or so, you might be OK, if you develop 4 rolls then wait three weeks, maybe not so OK ). I have had very good results with very old chemicals in the past before I starting mixing one shot. The first developer is what has gone bad first for me. Why not just mix half and break up your day? Open concentrate also has a shelf life but is much longer than mixed. I purge my concentrate bottles with inert gas ( Argon, only cause I have it ) after each session and have had them go over a year and still work fine. Of coarse they will fail on the one roll you really wanted. If this is the first time you are processing anything, make sure your reels and tank are clean and dry before the next batch or you will never get the reels to load ( not because of the tank anyway ). Also, do not do the stabilizer step in your tank or with the film on the reels. I use a little tupperware container the will submerge one roll and dump the film from the reel into the container.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Why not consider getting another tank? One that holds, say, 4 rolls?

Given the savings you'll get doing the processing yourself, you'll quickly amortise the cost of the new tank. They're not very expensive if you're just doing 35mm.

Also, really pay attention to Joel's recommendation for temperature control. From memory, Tetenal recommends +/-0.5 degree deviation in temperature from start to end. Read up on others' experiences with this. Their opinions are very handy.

Finally, make sure that you have a good, dust-free drying area. I have found E-6 to be significantly more prone to dust than B&W processing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It will work perfectly as two batches of 6 in 500mL. And it should last several days as long as you're careful with it, i.e. stored overnight in air-free bottles. The E6 entry in my FAQ may help you somewhat.

You do need to extend development for the latter rolls, the instructions should tell you how much. It will depend on the developer formulation. For example the Fuji C41 kit lists a different development time for each 20% of the developer's capacity, whereas the Fuji E6 kit only changes the first developer time (6:00 to 6:30) once, half way through the developer's capacity. The Tetenal may well be different.

All baths in E6 other than first developer are "to completion", so give them the official time and some extra if you feel like it, definitely some extra time as you're getting to the end of the chemistry's capacity. I tend to do bleach and fix for 8:00 each and give the CD 6:00 instead of 4:00 for that little extra bit of Dmax.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lhalcong View Post
    If I mix the entire kit and develop all the 12 rolls in one day, 6 and 6 , I am sure it will take me a good portion of the day from beginning to end. Will the mixed chemicals last at least one day ? or if I get too tired, do the second 6 the next day ?
    Just to give you a rough time frame: it takes me about 45-60 minutes to get one tankful of E6 film developed. You can wash the first batch while the second one is developed, but you need to add at least another half hour for washing the last batch of film. Tetenals instructions are very conservative with regard to shelf life and temperature control, but at the same time their recommended washing times are way too short. If I have a whole evening for E6 processing, I usually get about three batches of film developed.

Unless you get a tank which can hold 4-5 rolls and 1l of process chemistry (as suggested by LJH), I would mix the process chemistry in two batches (as suggested by polyglot) and possibly plan for a few days between the two dev sessions. Remember that you need to dry, cut and archive the film strips, and if you frame or scan them, this will take another few days.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your Paterson tank is like mine, you'll need at least 600ml for coverage of two 35mm reels.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel_L View Post
    . Also, do not do the stabilizer step in your tank or with the film on the reels. I use a little tupperware container the will submerge one roll and dump the film from the reel into the container.
    Just out of curiosity, why should I not do the stabilizer inside the tank ? thank you though for the tips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over time, stabilizers gum things up. Your reels will become impossible to load. Doesn't matter how well you wash things afterwards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin