Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,944   Posts: 1,557,725   Online: 1181
      
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,558
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    8
    thanks for the link parker

    before reading the rest of this thread i went to their website and poked around ..
    then i called to find their prices. i couldn't get through to c/s so i emailed them
    and the person who wrote back said without being a customer i can't get prices ...

    i called, and i was going to "sign up" to get their prices
    but decided if they can't give their prices to a pro who
    emails them there really isn't a point.

    to be honest, i have never heard of a pro lab or any lab who refuses work
    but by forbidding regular people to get prices or to be their customer,
    ( even if that regular person is a out of state professional! )
    they have really painted themselves into a corner.

    i am sure people know how much
    it costs $$ to get a professional to photograph, retouch and oversee the production prints, after all it isn't just the print that
    the professional is charging 25$ / 8x10 it is his / her expertise, overhead, insurance &c.
    its funny, my plumber used to have a note on their invoices that explained why their prices might seem "high"
    it was because they had a boatload of overhead.

    the thing is if it costs 1.70 / roll of 120 to be processed
    it must cost the lab about 20¢ I'M OUTRAGED ! LOL
    i think i'll just get my cat labs kit and process the film myself ...

  2. #12
    ParkerSmithPhoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    859
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Many places that cater to professional trades, in a variety of industries, do not make their prices public. And I believe it's to avoid seeing the markup - however justified it may be. Probably an anachronism now when price information is so available online, but it persists.
    Bingo.

    They have a consumer friendly division called MPIX that does publish prices on line. Most truly professional service Providers want to deal with pros only as it saves everyone time and money.

    I just wanted to provide another great option for film processing. If it's too much trouble to sign up you can use one of the three Atlanta labs that closed their doors last year.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

    Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

  3. #13
    ParkerSmithPhoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    859
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i called, and i was going to "sign up" to get their prices
    but decided if they can't give their prices t

    the thing is if it costs 1.70 / roll of 120 to be processed
    it must cost the lab about 20¢ I'M OUTRAGED ! LOL
    i think i'll just get my cat labs kit and process the film myself ...
    I think their price is $2.60 a roll. All.of the pro labs ask you to open an account. All of them.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

    Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

  4. #14
    DanielStone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,981
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    I think their price is $2.60 a roll. All.of the pro labs ask you to open an account. All of them.
    ALL of the "pro" labs I've used here in LA don't play the hide-n-seek game with their pricing. Nor have any of them required I 'start an account' before doing business. They're brick and mortar establishments(I'm talking Icon, Richard Photo Lab, A&I, etc...) and have a large walk-in customer base, and most also have an equally large(if not larger) mail-order business.

    If they want to extend discounts to their "regular" customers, that's their perogative. But for an average joe like me, they quote me the price stated on their site(as they should?!), and that's the price I(and most others) pay them for their services rendered

    Anyhow, I have to no dog in this fight. I've never used Miller's before, and frankly, if they think they're protecting their business, or their customers business by hiding prices from the regular public(or their customers end clients), well we can agree to disagree on their decision to do such

    Happy days, at least they're still processing film

  5. #15
    Ektagraphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,739
    Images
    23
    Millers is really great. I send them all of my color stuff. The negatives are always extremely clean and the prints look great! Their develop, print, (and scan) price can't be beat. Plus, you get free overnight return shipping! They do dip and dunk and process 35mm through 4x5. I had thought that the reason that you had to have an account to access the pricing is so photographer's clients could not find out what it was costing them to have their stuff developed.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,558
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    I think their price is $2.60 a roll. All.of the pro labs ask you to open an account. All of them.

    thanks parker ..

    sorry for my extreme crankiness but ...

    in 26 years maybe one other lab made me sign up to reveal their prices ...
    i never used them. most ever pro lab i have ever used
    ( 2 different commercial markets - imagemakers, abar, spectrum, renaissance, colortek, dorian, black+white, panopticon, zona, hahn &c )
    had walk in service they didn't check id at the door and they had a "menu board " with all their prices.
    they processed film for whoever wanted it processed, professional, or amateur

    if people are naive enough to think that lab is "better" because they don't publish their prices online
    to "protect" their professional clients that's kind of funny...
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-11-2014 at 09:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  7. #17
    ParkerSmithPhoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    859
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    ALL of the "pro" labs I've used here in LA don't play the hide-n-seek game with their pricing. Nor have any of them required I 'start an account' before doing business. They're brick and mortar establishments(I'm talking Icon, Richard Photo Lab, A&I, etc...) and have a large walk-in customer base, and most also have an equally large(if not larger) mail-order business.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    if people are naive enough to think that lab is "better" because they don't publish their prices online
    to "protect" their professional clients that's kind of funny...
    Perhaps I should clarify here: when I say ProLab that is the generally accepted vernacular for the Portrait and Wedding Labs that sold film to photographers, then processed it, proofed it, printed it, etc. Of course, there are always labs such as you describe that have catered to not only the professional photographers but also the walk-in public (what I call pro-sumer labs).

    The Portrait and Wedding Labs were always strictly to the trade, and being such, required you to sign up for an account, especially as they would extend credit to their clients. "Opening an account" is as difficult as providing someone with your contact details which you will need to do with every decent provider of services from film processing to lawn maintenance.

    Between the Pro-Lab and Pro-Sumer business models we had about three dozen choices here in Atlanta a decade ago. They are all now gone.

    As they say, don't make mountains out of molehills. If you need a good mail order film lab, Miller's is terrific. If you still can and like to drive across town to get your film developed that's terrific, too. It's not terribly complicated.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

    Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,558
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    8
    ....
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-11-2014 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,558
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    Perhaps I should clarify here: when I say ProLab that is the generally accepted vernacular for the Portrait and Wedding Labs that sold film to photographers, then processed it, proofed it, printed it, etc. Of course, there are always labs such as you describe that have catered to not only the professional photographers but also the walk-in public (what I call pro-sumer labs).

    The Portrait and Wedding Labs were always strictly to the trade, and being such, required you to sign up for an account, especially as they would extend credit to their clients. "Opening an account" is as difficult as providing someone with your contact details which you will need to do with every decent provider of services from film processing to lawn maintenance.

    Between the Pro-Lab and Pro-Sumer business models we had about three dozen choices here in Atlanta a decade ago. They are all now gone.

    As they say, don't make mountains out of molehills. If you need a good mail order film lab, Miller's is terrific. If you still can and like to drive across town to get your film developed that's terrific, too. It's not terribly complicated.
    hi parker
    thanks for your insights ... and pouty face emoticons

    rather than stoop to your level ( i guess?) and suggest that not all pro labs make their customer base lie about what they do, or that maybe if a lab deals with the off the street consumer as well as the 10k$ day rate pro they are more than just a " prosumer lab "
    to think they have to hide their prices from working pros because regular people might realize it doesnt cost $50 for a machine print?

    i think people already know they are getting ripped off when lifetouch
    will give them a 8x10 & 4 5x7s for 10$ and the quality is better than the pro.

    thanks for reminding me why people call film photographers elitist snobs ..
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-11-2014 at 08:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  10. #20
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,599
    Images
    60
    John:

    The pro labs around my way used to provide additional services to their professional customers, and offer them lower prices.

    In order to get the benefit of those services and prices, I used to have to supply a business licence, a tax number and some evidence of both a photographic business and some competence.

    The additional services included a variety of masks that permitted a photographer to crop negatives but still obtain high quality, low cost machine prints with individual colour correction.

    The lower prices worked for the labs because professional photographers tended to have higher volumes, and if the photographers were competent, the labs could put high quality work through more efficiently.

    Unless I was able to qualify for a professional account, I wasn't able to get access to the special professional list of services/price list.

    That business model is long gone, but I expect Millers just hasn't changed their system.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin