Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,072   Online: 874

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I was not questioning your statements. can we end this now?
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    So you think I am?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I've sent them my lonely scans from my Epson V500 and got my free welcome prints. WOW. Pretty damn nice prints for the little scans I did. I scan at 300 dpi and usually size them up to 5x7" or 7x7" so seeing them "blown up" to was a testament of this workflow.

I had four rolls of film to process so I sent them off to them. I didn't have their film order forms, but they just said to write on paper my account number and what I wanted done.

I had one roll of 120 (645) and three 35mm. I got proof sets for all of it, not realizing what the cost would be for the 35mm. It's a little pricy, probably because the 35mm stuff I usually shoot are snapshots. None-the-less, it's nice seeing positive prints before I scan. The prints from 120 showed some grain, but that's probably because it's a little expired 400H. Something to be expected.

Today I got a stack of film and digital order forms and labels for shipping. I think I found my new lab!

Now, I have to find an order form translator. I'm still trying to figure out what the masks are...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    are the prices still a secret?
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WHCC, which I use for all my color printing, forces you to set up an account before ordering. They also have you ship them several files from which they make free test prints. Since they print the file exactly the way you send it to them, they do not want to be getting calls from soccer moms wondering why there is a blue cast on the prints. This is WHCC's way of doing at least a bit of screening to assure themselves that the files they are getting are prepped correctly (correct size, DPI, profile, etc.) They have determined that this is the best business practice for them.

As to Millers, they have always catered to the professional wedding and portrait trade. I'm sure they also don't want to engage in too much hand-holding. The masks are provided so you can crop a medium-format negative and still have a machine print made at machine print prices (the operator just selects the mask you choose). At one time Millers had a number of competitors around the country. One that I was familiar with was North American in Detroit. It operated exactly the same way.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    are the prices still a secret?
    naaa, they just choose to not publish them on the internet
    &c unless you are a potential serious customer and not a time waster like i guess i am

===

rolfe,

yeah i agree it weeds out handholding and coddling and time wasters ( like me ) &c
    but after its all said and done, whcc still publishes all their prices and will give them to you over the phone

oh well, what can you do, we are lucky to have the millers in this evolving and tight market !

===

thanks for publishing the link parker

its a small world and good to know respected labs that do great work.

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    naaa, they just choose to not publish them on the internet
    &c unless you are a potential serious customer and not a time waster like i guess i am
    And i will never be one without knowing how much they charge...
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And i will never be one without knowing how much they charge...
    That's unfortunate. I've joined and they are now my lab.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    That's unfortunate.
    Strange practices of otherwise potentially ok business are usually are.
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Strange practices of otherwise potentially ok business are usually are.
    If they give me the results for the FAST FAST turn around and LOW LOW price I paid, I'm OK with theses "strange practices"!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin