Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,360   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Contaminated Fix - Rollei Digibase C-41

Hi, I'm an idiot. I bought Rollei Digibase C-41 (super 5L) chemistry kit. I made up all of the solutions, from the entire contents of the kits, having read on the great shelf life it appears to have on practice.

Then during first use, on a test 135 ..... incredibly, I managed to pour some of the used bleacher solution into the the fixer drum. Maybe 100 ml of bleacher into a drum of around 2.5 litres of fixer. It er.. went a bit red in colour. Once you managed to stop laughing at my stupidity and clumsiness, could someone confirm that I've 1) destroyed my stockpile of C-41 fixer, 2) created a health, safety, and environmental disaster. Or could it still be of use (other than for a chemical bomb)?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You involuntarily created a weak BLIX (= bleach & fix in one), and the bleach will oxidize your fixer over time. Until that happens, you can use that contaminated fixer without problems.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not a chemist, but I do color. Chances are you have a weak bleach-fix now. Really depends on the composition of the bleach, but most likely you won't notice a difference. If you are reusing your fixer from batch to batch, there will always be some carry over from one bath to the next.

It'll be fine. Just use it up quickly.

That being said, if you can get your hands on some HYPAM or non-hardening fixer, you could just use that instead. The fixing time might change, but it's a "to completion" step and since color film has less silver, using the B&W times should suffice. Only thing is that C41 fixer typically neutral pH, and HYPAM is acidic. The Ilford Data sheet talks about HYPAM being used at 40C.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colin;

One correction! Color film has often 3x more silver in it than B&W films and the silver is harder to fix out in C41, so times might be longer! TF-5 from the Formulary was actually designed for this kind of work!

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good to know. I am aware there there are 3 layers, but I was informed by the now long gone AGFA rep that each layer had less silver, and was just there for dye formation and not image formation (no silver image). I was also told the same thing about color paper. I still have the jug of FX-UNIVERSAL. He must have been misinformed, because I am aware of your knowledge in this area.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for thast great advice - I'll try it until I see problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colin, I have coated color negative film and color paper. While it is true that the silver content of color paper is decreasing, the content of film is about the same as it always was. If you decrease it, the film gets grainy fast.

Each color (C/M/Y) layer has as much silver in a color film roll as in an equivalent roll of B&W film.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen mention of using TF-5 for color film a few times here on APUG. Is it okay to make a habit of using TF-5 in c-41? I've read its PH is correct, but only seen reference to using it "in a pinch."
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is usable in all cases. Remember, I was there!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It is usable in all cases. Remember, I was there!

PE
    Thanx. I have a couple c-41 kits, but once I get the hang of it I intend to buy components. Plus it will be nice to have one fixer for paper and both color and b&w film. I still have a few packages of powdered Kodak fixer to use up first - might take a while.
    Truzi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin