Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,338   Online: 885

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home brewed E6?

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jordan,

Tetenal still makes the 3bath E6 in 1l size, itīs available in Germany. Itīs probably just your national distributor who is vary to sell it.... tell them that you want it, and that may change.

Look, there is the listing in a german mailorder house:
    http://www.phototec.de/catalog/produ...oducts_id=1578

OTOH, the 5l kit version costs slightly more than double the money (77EUR) they ask for the 1l kit (34EUR). Even if you donīt use it up, you may end up saving some bucks... I know that once the seal is broken the chemistry lasts some 14months, a lot longer than most other kits available on the market.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan

Nick, I'm pretty sure JD Photochem sells their own 'line' of E6 kits. I just bought one of their C-41 kits but haven't yet had a chance to use it. The instructions are a little lacking but they filled the details in by e-mail when asked. It may be worth a try. Shipping to Toronto from the West Island (Montreal) is pretty quick.

They have the Agfa 500 ml kit for E-6 and I think that's it. Henry's might actually be cheaper for the Agfa kit. Definetly save on the shipping.

If things haven't changed the C-41 instructions are on the back of the RA-4 sheets. Short and to the point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I could have sworn that they (JD Photochem) sold their own E-6 kit. Oh well. The C-41 instructions were fine until I got to the part about "usable for X rolls based on 4 oz per roll." -- not too helpful for those of us using regular inversion agitation in small tanks.

Roman, I have never seen any Tetenal products in any store in Canada. When I lived in the USA I used to buy the 500 ml Tetenal E-6 kits from B&H Photo, which were perfect for processing six rolls in pairs (so as to not have the chemicals lingering around too long). In the USA the 500 ml kits are no longer available and you can only get the 1L kits (about $25 at B&H, I think). In Canada the only small kits available are from Agfa. On my last trip to Henry's (downtown Toronto) I don't remember seeing any of them in any case.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    May I add my 2 c ?
    First, forgot about the 3 bath kits. If you shoot the latest Kodak of Fuji things, they will give you bad results. (ugly with Velvia !)
    1) the Agfa 0.5 l kit is very good but expensive (it's for 4 films only) it comprises a blix so there are only 5 baths (but the 3 more important, say 1st dev, rev, and color dev ) are standard so you are able to tweak them to suit your color balance tastes ....
    2) I use the 5 litre one shot Kodak E6 kit.
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../e6Index.jhtml
    It is the _real stuff_ but tweaked a bit for the occasional shooter or low volume lab. You can mix as low a 250 cc chemistry to the full 5 litre. And you use the chemsitry mixed one shot. If you're consistent enough in your mixing, results are good and sound. If, as I do, you use a Jobo to process your slides, have a look here :
    http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/e6.htm
    If you plan to keep the kit for quite a long time once open, split the first dev concentrate in small glass bottles tipped to the brim in order to prevent oxydation. I do this for the color dev also. It is still good after a year. Bear in mind that Kodak keeps two CAT # depending on which side of the pond you live .... The European one I use costs about 55 € a kit.
    3) A long time ago, I've tried to mix my own kit, having access to the arcane chemicals needed. It was a total mess. Once bitten, .....
    Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think they sell the RA-4 and C-41 chemicals to mini-labs that's the reason they make thier own up. I've seen both the Agfa E-6 and C-41 kit at the Steeles Henry's store. Only one or two kits at a time so I'd guess it would be very easy to have it sold out at any time. BTW Agfa uses different names for the stuff so the box won't read E-6/C-41.

George I've been mixing up C-41 for awhile and that's pretty easy. The E-6 formulas don't look any harder really. Between all the formulas I have I think I can avoid buying too many extra chemicals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin