Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,231   Online: 814

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home brewed E6?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Home brewed E6?

http://www.opie.net/orphy/photo/dr/wkft-e6.html

Anybody have any comments? I'm not interested in burning enough film to justify commerical chemicals. How about a chemical reversal step instead of the light one?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I tried for a couple of years. I combined and modified 2 formulas that had been published in days gone by in the old Darkroom and Photo Techniques magazine. I bought and maintained ph meters etc. All dry chems. There is a wild card chemical in the mix that I never did get a handle on and every time I thought I had a good repeatable formula.........I really didn't. I'm enjoying black and white and hate to admit it on this forum but the better the little digi cams get the farther I get away from doing anything wet color again.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are published reversal baths. Here's one from the 1988 BJP Annual

Reversal bath (pH: 5.8 +/- 0.1)

Propionic acid 12m1
    Stannous chloridc 1.65g
    p-Aminophenol 0.5g
    Sodium hydroxide 4.8g
    BDH Calcium Complexing Agent No 4 5ml
    Water to 1000ml

Notes:
    1 The very mall quantity of p-Aminophenol can best be measured by making a 0.1% solution (1g/1000ml)in 1% (10ml/1000ml) of propionic acid. This solution does not keep well can should he discarded after a week or so.

2 If the solution, particularly when made up as a 20x concentrate, does not clear on adding the calcium complexing agent in the above quantity a little more should be added slowly until it does.

But don't try Hogg Laboratory Supplies (as suggested) for your chemicals they closed a few years ago. They ceased selling Photochemicals sometime before that. I went in to get a new price list, was told they'd stopped selling them so when I asked what had happened to the stock they found Mike Hogg who said make me an offer. I had their entire stock for almost nothing. Loads of Pyro, Amidol, CD-2,3 & 4 etc, Pinacryptol Yellow. wetting agents restariners the list was long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to make up the developers one shot. I'll be able to avoid pH drifts. I actually find I enjoy colour work. I don't know how to put it but it's less demanding in some ways. Relaxing in a mindless way-)

Ian I have a copy of an older BJP which I think includes different E-6 formulas. Have you tried them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick while I've used a couple of E6 formulae I've found it so easy to do the Reversal exposure method which I was used to from E-4 processing and a horrifically complex Ferrania process about 35 years ago.

If you want to use a small economic E-6 kit I can thoroughly recommend the Paterson Chrome 6
    http://www.patersonphotographic.com/...y/colchem.html
    I used these kits extensively in the late 70's and through out the 80's when I used to shoot a lot of live concerts and needed to uprate and push-process my films.

While it's relatively easy to make your own E6 chemistry I found that I hadn't the time to test each batch before processing critical films, hence relying on the Photocolor (now Paterson) Chrome 6 kits.

Nowadays I don't shoot E6, I think the last time was about 4 or 5 years ago. Most of the professional labs near me no longer do R3 or Ilfachrome(Cibachrome) prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The kits are too big-) The nice thing about mixing up one shot is everything is fresh for that one roll or a few sheets. I picked up a bunch of 4x5 film awhile back for not much money with the intention of cross processing it to C-41 but I might just make some big E6.

Would a fluorescent light fixture work for reversing the film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes flourescent would be OK as long as you expose for long enough reasonably close.

Remember your exposing essentally Black & white by this stage

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Tetenal 3-bath kit isn't a bad way to do small quantities. The stock solutions last a fairly long time, and even used one-shot, it's less costly than commercial processing.

Even though they give instructions for pushing and up to three uses, I don't recommend pushing more than 1 stop, though, or reusing chemicals after push processing, or using the chemicals more than twice for regular processing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...al.html+&hl=en

I found a simple reversal bath. The website seems down so only the google cache is available. Easy enough.

Locally my only real choice for pre-mixed chemicals are the small Agfa kits or the 5litre Kodaks. The Agfa kit would be okay if I wanted to wait for enough exposed film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had good results with the Tetenal kits. Pushing one stop and re-using three times were no problem. Their usefulness went way down for me when they stopped selling the 500ml versions.

Nick, I'm pretty sure JD Photochem sells their own 'line' of E6 kits. I just bought one of their C-41 kits but haven't yet had a chance to use it. The instructions are a little lacking but they filled the details in by e-mail when asked. It may be worth a try. Shipping to Toronto from the West Island (Montreal) is pretty quick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin