Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,356   Online: 927

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The OP says "rotten eggs" and not "ammonia", and thus the solution has gone totally bad and cannot be fixed.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The OP says "rotten eggs" and not "ammonia", and thus the solution has gone totally bad and cannot be fixed.
    He corrected himself in later postings in this thread.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    He corrected himself in later postings in this thread.
    Yes, it smells like regular ammonia.

Clearing time is still very fast, strip of Kodak 500T clears in some 20-30 seconds completely. pH still reads neutral.
    It is not about salvaging the solution, I have enough concentrate to mix up another 3-4 liters, I just don't want to pour out usable chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, since this change in odor took place after adding Sulfite, I connected the two (and the noted pH value) and assumed that had changed the pH upwards and the original post was correct.

It is hard to diagnose this from a distance.

Rotten Eggs denotes a total decomposition at an acid pH, and the yellow color supported this. Ammonia odor says alkaline pH and you usually do not get a yellow color. So, I am at a loss. The correct pH for C41 fixer is about 6.5 and it should be odorless. It should be clear and colorless as well.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I take it as partially ruined, partially working. Will do clearing tests prior to further use and I will not replenish it as planned, instead I am going to exhaust it and store separately from other spent fixer (going to silver recovery). I guess something was off with my processing that partially murdered the solution. Thankfully, the bleach is still alive, as it is the hardest to replace for me. Developer was not kept, as ECN2 (yup, did ECN2 with C41 back-end) does not keep well anyway. Thanks for the replies!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin