Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,639   Online: 873

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C-22 Found film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just the other day I mixed up some modified C-22, using CD-2 (dont have CD-3 on hand) and extra restrainer to cross-process an old E-4 125 speed tungsten roll. It turned out well, just very dense.

I dissolve my benzyl alcohol within isopropanol before adding. It looks quite strange and puts on a show when adding it to the solution of developer, but it will eventually dissolve, I add it before the developing agent.

You should be able to visually tell if the CD-3 is bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A personal comment on C22.

My first color print was made with C22. Omega B600, EL Nikkor, CC filter pack. The supplies came by mail from Freestyle Sales Co.. I still have that print, it was like 1975. I remember the first roll, I touched the film and the "emulsion" wiped right off! In an apartment with home processing it's a wonder I was able to make it to the printing stage. I still remember the extreme elation upon seeing that print. Those college days after Vietnam were idyllic!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt, I did my first ones in about 1958 on even earlier films and papers when I was a teen. Its been a long road to here and now.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Curt, I did my first ones in about 1958 on even earlier films and papers when I was a teen. Its been a long road to here and now.

PE
    Ron, yes a long long road, not nearly enough time though. 1958 was definitely as Leslie Poles Hartley said:

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there"

They certainly did! I had a chance to talk with a professor emeritus at the George Eastman House who knew the creator of the Kodak Dye Transfer process. What the professor had to say about the evolution of photography was as they say; "A Kodak moment".

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a pre-teen, teen and adult I got to watch a good part of it unfold, and then I was finally able to take part in this great work for 32 years at EK after my military work. As you say, we did things differently, and things were, if anything, more peaceful and calm compared to today.

The US was growing as was Europe. Today, the US is in decline as is the WW economy. Ah well, such is life. I got to live something close to October Sky.........

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The chemicals for everything but developer just arrived. As a recap the MSDN listing for part A of the developer kit is.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch2 View Post
    This is only going from the MSDS listing

============= Composition/Information on Ingredients =============

Ingred Name:ETHYLENE DICHLORIDE (SARA III)
    Ingred Name:BENZYL ALCOHOL
    Ingred
    Name:4-(N-ETHYL-N-2-METHANESULFONYLAMINOETHYL)-2-METHYLPHENYLENEDIA
    MINE SESQUISULFATE MONOHYD
    Ingred Name:DIETHYLENE GLYCOL
    I'm assuming that the Ethylene Dichloride and the Diethylene glycol are there to preserve/stabilise the components and that the CD3 and Benzyl Alcohol are the only photographically active chemicals? Is that reasonable? If I mixed a new part A using just CD-3 and Benzyl Alcohol, could I do without the glycol and the Ethylene Dichloride?

If I decide to do this over and start from scratch is this the formula I have for the developer (BJP formula circa 1958. For 1 ltr of developer)

Benzyl Alcohol 8.5cc
    Sodium Metaborate 40gm
    Trisodium Phosphate 20gm
    Sodium Sulphate (anhyd) 2.5g
    Potassium Bromide 1.2gm
    Potassium iodide 0.01gm
    6-nitrobenzimideazole nitrate 0.02gm
    CD-3 7.5gm

Water to 1 liter

In general is this formula ok?

6-nitrobenzimideazole nitrate is Kodak Antifog #2. Does anyone know where to get some?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOOK! This formula cannot be duplicated exactly. It is the result of advanced organic chemistry, so you can only approach it approximately.

This was done using SO2 gas and a lot of oddball (to you) equipment.

You will only do a "fair" job of getting there.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch2 View Post
    6-nitrobenzimideazole nitrate is Kodak Antifog #2. Does anyone know where to get some?
    Kodak sells Antifoggant AF-2000 for movie film processing, 10L for $55.25 Here is a sheet comparing it to AF-9:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...ing_af2000.pdf

Here is the MSDS:

AF-2000 MSDS

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AF2000 will be found to be less effective than 5-Nitro!

But, any C22 film from about 40 years ago will be very foggy and might need a lot more antifoggant! IDK.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've gotten vastly better negs with much better dMin on old fogged film by increased restrainers, dMax was also restrained, and it required, and required an increase in developer time. I haven't used AF #2 before however.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin