Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,572   Posts: 1,621,874   Online: 921

Shooter
    Medium Format

Novice: Color negative film, scanning advice

Hi,

I might try C-41 processing at home with the intent of later scanning.

My question is: how hard is it to scan C-41 film?

Currently, I only have a flatbed scanner, which is very poor for B&W film. Its Dmax is very low.

So, is color film more or less "dense" than B&W film? Is slide film easier to scan?

Thanks a lot.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Rough rule of thumb: the smaller the film format, the better the scan you need. Don't expect quality results with a home flatbed, but it won't
    hurt to try. Most amateur scanners handle slides better, but the devil is in the details. It's not so much a matter of DMax as the nature of color
    negs per se, which include an orange mask. And obviously, a lot depends on your personal expectations. If your current scanner does a poor
    job with black and white film, it will probably do much worse with color neg film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimoespedro View Post
    Currently, I only have a flatbed scanner, which is very poor for B&W film. Its Dmax is very low.
    Is this a flatbed scanner that can scan film with a back light attachment?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimoespedro View Post
    Hi,

I might try C-41 processing at home with the intent of later scanning.

My question is: how hard is it to scan C-41 film?

So, is color film more or less "dense" than B&W film? Is slide film easier to scan?

Thanks a lot.
    Personally, I find scanning colour negative like Portra 400 fairly easy, but I mostly use medium format or 4x5, so you can get away with a lot of loss of quality.

If I were you you, I'd shoot a roll of your favourite colour negative, get it processed at a lab, and trying scanning the negatives in your current scanner. Only you can decide if the quality is up to your own standards.

For me, if you're just putting photos online, just about any scanner is good enough. If you want to print bigger than 8x10, then it might start being a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shouldn't this conversation take place on our sister site: DPUG
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, we don't talk about those things here. Even though many of us do them.

Maybe try the I shoot film scanner group on Flickr, it's fairly active.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    ... if you're lucky enough to find anyone on a digi forum that even understands film anymore.... More BS on some of those threads than on
    Boy Scout logos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ... if you're lucky enough to find anyone on a digi forum that even understands film anymore.... More BS on some of those threads than on
    Boy Scout logos.

Yep. Telling it like it is!
    Besides which, the discussion involves film and obtaining an image from film and there are a few other pertinent discussions on APUG that are related.
    I suggest people not be too excited about what is and is not suitable for DPUG. As far as I am concerned, that group is a non-event and profoundly lacking in a credible knowledge base.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't there a sub-forum or group here to discuss scanning, though only in so far as to put examples up? (Not as part of an hybrid process.)
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would try posting this in the APUG hybrid social group here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum429/

or on DPUG http://www.dpug.org

Thanks

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin