Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,808   Online: 980

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't use much Ektar, mostly because I prefer Portra or 400H for skin tones, but here are a couple of photos using Ektar in Scotland:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's important to remember the geographic latitude. Scotland is about as far north as Scandinavia and Canada. This Northern light will be cooler and less saturated even on a sunny day compared to an overcast day further south, for instance in mainland Europe or USA.

Warming filters might help a bit but in my experience it looks a bit unnatural compared to the actual scene and it still wont increase saturation or vibrance much. If you get an unnatural tint on the negative, then this will easily be amplified if you increase saturation and vibrance in post processessing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skysh4rk View Post
    I don't use much Ektar, mostly because I prefer Portra or 400H for skin tones, but here are a couple of photos using Ektar in Scotland:

Great, thanks for sharing. Second one looks like it was taken with the squirrels in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh??? (I lived 13 years in Edinburgh before moving to the Highlands)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    Great, thanks for sharing.
    Yep, no worries!

Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    Second one looks like it was taken with the squirrels in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh??? (I lived 13 years in Edinburgh before moving to the Highlands)
    I have taken some photos relatively recently in the Princes Street Gardens, but the photo with the squirrel was actually in the Botanic Gardens in Glasgow.

The other photo is from the top of Ben Lomond.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't get why people want Ektar to look like Velvia to begin with. Why not learn Ektar for what Ektar can do? Velvia is one of the most difficult
    films to expose and print there ever has been. Very narrow tolerances. And yeah, by now most people have figured out it is less forgiving of
    skintones than most other color neg films - but that's not due to color reproduction errors, just the opposite. Unlike portrait films, you can get very good reproduction of subtle differences of green with Ektar, but it takes some serious printing experience to fine-tune it to that degree,
    as well as correct filtration in the field when lighting is off enough to warrant it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know that has been topic of other threads but nobody has made that comparison, or expressed that desire, in this thread. Or are their posts I'm not seeing (which is possible)?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's a bit from an earlier post:

[QUOTE=Nuff;1615325]Ektar will not look like Velvia straight away when it's scanned. It has less contrast and being a negative much bigger DR range. If you want to get close to Velvia, you will need to apply lots of contrast. And like you said, white out the highlights and black out the shadows. Then you will be getting close. /QUOTE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I stand corrected. I must have been skimming too fast. Sincere apologies to all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's been done for a long time: people trying to make Ektar look like Velvia. It won't work. Velvia is Velvia, Ektar is Ektar and the two could not be more dissimilar. What both films do share though is their ability to demonstrate enriched, pleasant colours in soft (e.g. overcast) light. The almost pastel colours demonstrated by Ektar have tempted me to use the film on occasion but scanning has presented some difficulties, requiring colourimetrics to be "turned on their head" to get colours 'just so'.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm finding Ektar to be a lot more versatile than Velvia ever was. The fundamental difference is that with a chrome film you can simply slap the
    thing on a decent light box and see what you've got, and then adjust the learning curve the easy way. With color neg films, you have to learn
    to either properly scan or outright print them first - so if anything goes wrong with the workflow, you tend to blame the film instead of yourself,
    or the intermediate equipment! I don't happen to like the way my own work would come out digitally printed, and am almost by definition a pure
    darkroom practitioner, so that pretty much dictates the workflow from the word go. Still learning. But once the handwriting was on the wall,
    and it was obvious that Cibachrome was doomed, I started seriously fine-tuning my color neg printing techniques. Time well spent, because
    within a few years, major improvements in both printing papers and film options (like Ektar) materialized. Now I wouldn't go back to chromes
    even if Ciba were up and running again.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin