Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,096   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Cinema Film and Chemistry... Need help :)

So, this one goes out to PhotoEngineer or someone else with the experience and genius . I purchased 1000 feet of Kodak Vision 250D and 400 feet of Kodak Vision 320T. I am wanting to make some kind of home-made machine to wash the rem-jet off in bulk so I can re-sell and they can send it to their photo lab without screwing stuff up, so this is where my issue comes in. I have read online that since rem-jet needs to be soaked in an alkaline solution to wash off, doing this before exposure will partially develop the film. My theory is making a solution (very weak) of water and sodium tetraborate (borax). I have played with it just a little and have found that the smallest amount in water will soften the rem-jet so much that you can basically wash it off under running water. How much damage will the borax cause to the dyes in the emulsion? Also, will a warm air dryer cause damage to the dyes? Thanks!
    Live for the art. Live for Analog!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I see it you have three problems. First, An ECN type film will not develop correctly with C-41 processing. There will be color shifts and cross-over and possibly other problems. Second, you must remove the rem-jet coating but you cannot allow the film emulsion to get wet. To do so would remove such things as sensitizing dyes. There is also the risk of rem-jet particles being transferred to the emulsion side. Third, these films are intended for the ECN-2 process. Even if you remove the rem-jet coating processors will not be happy with these films going through their C-41 baths.

Eastman does have some cine films that do not have the rem-jet coating and are intended for C-41 processing. They would be a better choice.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 02-28-2014 at 09:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Besides being technically difficult, I might also add that your idea opens you to all sorts of legal problems should anything go wrong. Not only from people who buy your modified film but from processing labs and people who have had their film processed after yours.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-01-2014 at 12:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Now you have 400 rolls of 36x films to homemade process.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with the above posters, but, even if this were technically possible, who are you hoping might buy untested and unknown film ? (Sorry to be discouraging. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to say I would have been inclined to find out how to do it before I bought all the film ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like your on the way to making a small fortune, by starting out with a larger one.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Only way to rescue your investment is to supply ECN2 processing also. Its another investment and few people theft peoples money in this way and I dont know how you would build that trust. You would need a excellent website and experience with film processing.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anyone who has a Kodak account can order in ECN-2 chemistry kits for you. Most of the steps can be mixed up from scratch (So can dev, as recipe is provided by Kodak anyway). The dev isn't that expensive imo. But last I checked Part A is a 20L plastic cube, quite heavy.

I've got the ratios written down somewhere.

Sensitising dyes shouldn't be removed by water in my experience with ECN-2 films.

Remjet doesn't ruin chemistry, it just needs to be filtered out of it, which machines do, and it doesn't stick to other films submerged in processing solution.

This really should be obvious to most, otherwise a wet remjet removal wouldn't be possible without ruining the film.

The problem in C-41 processing machines arises as not -all- the remjet will come off in solution just by passing through it, some of it will rub off onto non-submerged rollers and get onto other parts, which can then possibly transfer to other films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Only way to rescue your investment is to supply ECN2 processing also. Its another investment and few people theft peoples money in this way and I dont know how you would build that trust. You would need a excellent website and experience with film processing.
    It reads as though the OP was hoping to sell this film to ordinary users who send their films to the local photo-lab, rather than those of us who enjoy experimenting.

But why try to compete with the brand-name high-quality C41 still films and established labs, by trying to sell film which is designed for movie use (and therefore for printing onto positive film or for further digital processing, rather than paper prints) and with all the complexities of small-scale use of a different process.

And, no doubt like others, I keep my "experimenting" with old films and unusual films, etc., totally separate from my "serious" picture-taking for which I use the fresh branded films which I know....even for family snap-snaps which might have some interest in the distant future !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin