Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,320   Online: 779

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If your water is so bad you have to use DW to get an image, you have made a major error somewhere. Sorry! True!

Do NOT use Microdol or any other film developer with an RA paper. These developers can inhibit development totally as the emulsion types are incompatible.

PE
    No errors !! Water problem !!!!
    My water was tested and contains the following in excessive quanties.....

pH of 9.5-10
    Alpha Emitters
    Barium
    Radium
    Fluoride (not added)
    Copper
    Lead
    heavy disolved minerals. (dries leaving a white powdery residue). 1 gallon if left to evaporate will leave almost a teaspoon of "stuff" behind. HCL and Citric Acid are "normal" household items here. I distill all my drinking water (Midi-Still), as RO units are destroyed in less than a year.

Tried a shallow well, but it was not any better. There is a reason its called the BadLands.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    pH of 9.5-10
    Alpha Emitters
    Barium
    Radium
    Holy Toledo! I hope you wear a lead hazmat suit to distill that stuff! Did the army test tactical nukes there or something? No wonder you have problems mixing developer with it... did you notice that your darkroom was glowing?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Holy Toledo! I hope you wear a lead hazmat suit to distill that stuff! Did the army test tactical nukes there or something? No wonder you have problems mixing developer with it... did you notice that your darkroom was glowing?
    Reminds me of the 1950s Mickey Rooney film "The Atomic Kid" He gets lost with a friend in the Nevada desert but comes across what appears to be a normal town with no people. It is of course an experimental nuclear test site. He goes into a very nice house and being hungry, puts a piece of bread in the toaster and then the bomb goes off.

Nothing remains of the town but he emerges from the dust, blackened, hair standing on end, clothes in shreds etc with a small piece of blackened toast in his hand and says: "I guess I had it turned up too high"

Sorry couldn't resist telling that story. That bit of the film has stayed with me for nearly 50 years

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like Indiana Jones in his last movie!

Sorry guys, I apologize. I never imagined water so BAD!!!

However, under most all circumstances, the chelating agents Kodak and others use in their formulas will handle "most" problems. And I thought it would handle "all" problems. Geez, never heard of this.

Anyhow, must be all of those buried silos with nukes. Right? Does the ground glow at night?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Welcome to APUG!

My best guess is that your filters are the problem. They are designed to be used with transparencies and positive-positive paper.

You are using paper which is designed to print from negatives and, I assume, a negative.

I expect you are filtering out everything except the orange mask.
    I see other possible reasons being hashed out so I will just add that the filters are not the problem. The Ciba/Ilfochrome filters are standard CP filters. I made many decent RA4 prints using mine. The only problem with them is that they only go down to five unit increments which can be a little course for neg/pos printing but was plenty fine enough for pos/pos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I knew about the water here before I moved, I would have gone elsewhere. I'm not implying the OP has water like mine, but just to state that water can have an effect which can be &^^$*$%^$%^&^* to trace processing issues. There is some very interesting grayish white sludge that I remove from the distiller every 6 gallons (2 tanks full) . It runs at 1.25 gallons in for 1 gallon out. Much cheaper than RO.

The residue fizzes like Coke and Mentos when HCL is poured on it. Even the dirt here will fizz when battery acid (H2SO4) is poured on. It makes it less messy to transport batteries to the recycler.

Just a thought though...... Perhaps exposing the paper through the back side?
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That seems to indicate a Carbonate salt in the soil. Alkali flats?

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    That seems to indicate a Carbonate salt in the soil. Alkali flats?

PE
    Probably some form of carbonate, but it is very alkali. Found skeleton remains around almost all the little ponds and the like. Lots of sea shells like clam, scollop and some very pearlescent snail like fossils. Whats fun is you don't have to really dig much. Dried up river beds offer all sorts of good things. I've found rocks that glow green, blue, red and orange under blacklight. The soil ranges from light gray to black in my area, but only a few miles away the soil is red, orange and yellow. The yellow could be natural Uranium but in such small unmeasurable quantities out in the open. Of course this changes after rain that washes the heavy stuff into the aquifer. Very few trees here, mostly a coarse brushy grass, to nothing at all except hard cement-like dried mud with a crust of what may be quartz or some other crystaline mineral, but it is not "table salt" like at all being black, gray, pink and white.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey guys here's the report:

Tried mixing chems again, first batch used tap water and...nothing all white.
    Second one used distilled water and...BOOM it worked, so I'm on full print mode now, thanks guys. I've never had this problem before, I've always mixed my BW Chems and RA-4 (Arista not Kodak) with tap water and they turned out ok, so I dunno what changed (now I'm scared of showering) so thanks without your help I'd be curled up like a burrito of sadness thinking I messed up stupidly so yeah :P. Will bring results later on, cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good to hear the problem is solved.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin