Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,343   Online: 795

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

RA-4 Problem making me crazy.

Here's the deal I've been trying to print RA-4 with the following specs and equip and nothing NOTHING comes out I end up with all white tests all the time :c, help please:

-Beseler 67VC Printmaker.
    -Cibachrome A filter set.
    -Fujifilm Crystal Archive Type II Paper (Matte).
    -Trays:
    -Pre soak.
    -Kodak Ektacolor RA Developer Replenisher RT - 2:00 min.
    -Stop Bath - 1:00min.
    -Quick Wash.
    -Kodak Ektacolor RA Bleach-Fix and Replenisher. - 1:00-2:00min.
    -Last wash.
    -Temps I've tried: 75F, 90F & 105F.
    -Test Times: 10-30s (10 steps each test).

Not a single thing appears in the paper after I'm done it comes out all white :c. My initial settings usually are C=0 M=40/45 Y=40/45. I've also tried going down to 20(M,Y) and up to 65(M,Y).

I also tried a test on a 23CIII-XL the other day M=65 Y=65 and nothing, all white.

Working in complete darkness: black walls, no light, black taping all tiny the edges of my enlagers, keeping continous movement on the trays and exact time with an analog cronometer.
    Help? :C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

My best guess is that your filters are the problem. They are designed to be used with transparencies and positive-positive paper.

You are using paper which is designed to print from negatives and, I assume, a negative.

I expect you are filtering out everything except the orange mask.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a first step, I would take a piece of paper, expose it to room light, and develop it. If it turns black, the problem is with your exposure. If turns any other color, the problem is with your chemicals and/or process.

Shooter
    35mm
    Did this it comes out completely white :c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance that:

a) it isn't actually photographic paper; or
    b) the developer is dead?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    a) The item for BH is #600008963
    b) I would hope not I already mixed twice the 10lt set in 1lt sets as indicated keeping steady temperature and using 1/10 of each solution as instructed.

Gonna have to mix a third new batch and check it out.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very strange.

Shooter
    35mm
    There will also be a problem as well with your timings. The developer (Kodak RA4 replenisher) for consistent results does need a 'starter' to be added to the initial batch. That is if you are using a deep tank such as a Nova. All replenishment after that does not need it unless you are using a single use processor (rotary drum) or in a dish.
    The recommended temperature for RA4 developer is 35 degrees 'C' and the time in the developer is only 45 seconds not 2 minutes. Colour develops much quicker than B&W. Over developing could lead to you getting very odd results (but not what you are achieving at present) The stop bath timing is fine but the bleach fix should be 2 mins no less and no more than 2.5 mins or it will stain.

Am I right in thinking that you are using a black and white enlarger with separate filters? If so that will not help at all, really you need one designed for Colour printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah I thought it might be that, but I read it is posible to achieve results, also I made a test with a dichroic Beseler 23CIII-XL and nothing, all white, my Dev is kinda champaigne colored and I've already made like 10 tests on it, made a new 1lt of it and replenished it with the old one, do I still need the starter? Also I'm processing in trays guerrilla style with a water constant resistance keeping the heat and still all white.

Thanks for all of your responses guys but this is the first time something like this has happened at first I wanted to blame the CA-II but I made my research and found that people get decent results with it and me? nothing :C, I'll try mixing chems again monday and meanwhile keep and eye on for more info.

Shooter
    35mm
    The developer colour is about right, it varies very slightly from batch to batch. I would try a starter and for 1 litre you need about 40cc's. You won't see any immediate difference but when you do actually get results they should be more consistent. As suggested a few posts back, expose a strip of paper to white light then develop for 45 seconds you should be able to get a deep black. If you don't get that then I would suspect the developer itself.

Can you let us know what proportions of the concentrates you are mixing together to make the 1 litre of developer.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 03-02-2014 at 10:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin