Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,233   Online: 830

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Color grade thermometer

I am starting to get back into color processing (C41 and E6) and I need a really reliable thermometer for this. I have a $4 glass thermometer that I bought at Freestyle which yields my body temperature to within a degree C and that's been good enough for my black and white work. I also have a fancier Premier Large Dial thermometer, but it disagrees with the glass thermometer by a degree or two (C or F I can't remember). Any way, these thermometers are both a little difficult to calibrate since their range does not cover the ice or boiling water temperatures (standard lab calibrators).

My question: Can anyone recommend a reliable thermometer for color work which I can use for color and to better understand my existing thermometers and derive corrections for them. I don't care if it's metal or glass. There is one being sold by Patterson called the "12-Inch Color Thermometer", priced from about $25-30. I was thinking of this one, but I'd love to hear other users experiences. I know Patterson is a pretty serious company that usually makes good equipment. I have one other related question: does anyone use "aquarium heaters" to warm C41 chemicals. I have an Arista C41 kit that wants the developer held at 102 F, so elevating the temperature of a water heat bath in contact with the various chemical tanks in a thermostatically controlled way seems to be a good approach.
    Last edited by davela; 03-03-2014 at 01:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kodak Process thermometer. Aquarium heaters a bit dicey. Try to acquire a Jobo tempering box or something like that. A true thermoregulator
    is better, but expensive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I never cared for dial thermometers. Notoriously inaccurate, IMO.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A clinical digital thermomether, is higly calibrated, cheap and often waterproof.

Disadvantages:
    -) it holds the maximum measured value
    -) to be used with a vague, simple thermometer to temper into the limited range of the clinical one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Body thermometers, mercury ones if possible. Highly accurate and shot tenths of degrees easily. Plus their resolution is between some 35 and 45 degrees, perfect for color processing. I have 4 of them in my darkroom.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a digital meat thermometer. I stick the probe in the bath or directly into the chem bottles, and have the readout somewhere safe and dry. Cheap, sensitive, responsive, and it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Drew said. The Kodak Type 3 Process mercury thermometer. Catalog #106-4955. Highly prized and sought after. Usually around $50, used.

Here's a current offering on the ugly auction site. (I have no affiliation with the seller.)

Short of spending multiple hundreds of dollars on a new calibrated lab-grade instrument, the Type 3 is as good as it gets. I use mine to calibrate all other thermometers in my darkroom, including my Hass Intellifaucet.

[Edit: Added the catalog number from the pictured box for future reference after the above auction ends.]

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-03-2014 at 03:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both a mercury thermometer and a Kodak Digital one which I have had for upwards of 20 years. Both correspond with each other with regard to temp readings and I have had no experience of faulty developing of any material so I must presume they are both accurate. A degree or so either way will not make one jot of difference so long as you know that there is a difference., then allow for it. They used to say a colour thermometer had to be accurate to +/- 1/4 degree but this just isn't so as long as you are aware if there is a discrepancy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Note that the Kodak Process Thermometer is illegal to ship via USPS -- all that mercury. If your seller does ship it that way, they should be sure it is packed so it doesn't break, and is in several well-sealed plastic bags. If it breaks and drips mercury out a corner of the box, they will be in a whole lot of legal pain…

It's my calibration reference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paterson certified colour thermometer http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mometer_9.html
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin