Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,855   Online: 779

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sure, but will have to wait till Tuesday, I didn't bring home the images with me, but I do have some 500T examples to post as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    50D outdoors, overcast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    5219 500T outdoors

This was lower contrast than 50D slides on a table, the highlights don't clear unless you overexpose it, just kind of dim, so it seems to work better outdoors in cold light, even though it's Tungsten.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, just for your own edification, and not for APUG general usage, try boosting contrast 20% in PS in those bottom 2 shots. That should compensate for the ECN being so low in contrast. It might help.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How far would you overexpose the film to clear up the highlights? I find the warmth of the 50D shots preferable over the 500T shots, though I suppose everyone has their own preferences. Do you mind sharing some more of the technical details of the process, it seems that you have had some success with this...
    Shooting film doesn't make me a hipster, it makes me someone who takes photos...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ECN will do superlative slides for projection like in a movie theatre, normally they used 24x18mm...

But like silver bromide paper it is a 2 stage negative positive process.

The low gamma negative, remjet and integral mask get you in same major league as kodachrome, though PE may grumble at that.

A CC filter is desirable for the tungsten balanced film, and the remjet is a pig.

But it is like the Leica in the charity shop it won't be there tomorrow, the Zorki may not last long either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used a small amount of borax in a large container of water (such as a bucket), and put them film in that and rub the film between my fingers from start to end gently submerged. Then lift it out and squeegee the film with my fingers a few times, dip back under the water/borax and repeat two more times.

Wearing disposable gloves (you could also squeegee with a soft sponge I suppose).

Then I load it into E-6, I usually get most of the remjet, some may be left, and can be wiped off after the process finishes (it shouldn't come off during the process).

Camera was AE-1 with 28mm f/2.8. ISO meter was set to 50 for 50D, 500 for 500T.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I used a small amount of borax in a large container of water (such as a bucket), and put them film in that and rub the film between my fingers from start to end gently submerged. Then lift it out and squeegee the film with my fingers a few times, dip back under the water/borax and repeat two more times.

Wearing disposable gloves (you could also squeegee with a soft sponge I suppose).
    Is there any chance of the rem-jet getting lodged in the emulsion or is that more a hypothetical situation that is thrown around in threads and never been proven to be a major issue?

Then I load it into E-6, I usually get most of the remjet, some may be left, and can be wiped off after the process finishes (it shouldn't come off during the process).

Camera was AE-1 with 28mm f/2.8. ISO meter was set to 50 for 50D, 500 for 500T.
    Do you run with standard E6 timing or have you changed it? Is there anything you could see changing in the process in order to improve the results or would it more be just watching which film is shot where?

Sorry for milking every little detail out of you Athril.
    Shooting film doesn't make me a hipster, it makes me someone who takes photos...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    The outdoor shots are really bad, heavily overcast at time of shooting, very blue. They're not correctable like the indoor shot, even though the light from indoors is provided through translucent white plastic in the ceiling from outside light.

I do have Vision Print film somewhere too, and CD-2 for processing it correctly. I just need to go collect it wherever I've left it.
    It was/is normal to shoot tungsten film in daylight with a CC filter, my chum who does shoot movie tungsten has all mine but from memory they are a murky yellow colour.

If you are shooting without a filter you may get too much blue and green to get a good white balance the CC filter cuts the blue and green.

You lose some film speed as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by septim View Post
    Is there any chance of the rem-jet getting lodged in the emulsion or is that more a hypothetical situation that is thrown around in threads and never been proven to be a major issue?
    I suppose it's possible, just not in my experience as long as the film has been completely cleaned before drying occurs.

Let me put to you this way. Remjet is loosened by an alkali pH level in solution, the emulsion side invariably will come in contact with remjet in solution regardless.

If it doesn't stick to the emulsion in solution, I don't see why it would do so outside of the solution as long as it doesn't start drying.

Quote Originally Posted by septim View Post
    Do you run with standard E6 timing or have you changed it? Is there anything you could see changing in the process in order to improve the results or would it more be just watching which film is shot where?

Sorry for milking every little detail out of you Athril.

Completely standard. Pushing will likely compromise dMax (as in lower it)... if I really wanted to get something out of this to work with (to my satisfaction), I would make my own first dev suited to the emulsion, to make sure each red, green, blue part of the image has good dMax - dMin, shoot a passport colour checker, and generate a profile for a raw scanned image for it.

But then we are getting back to 'regular' imaging then through a method that has a lot of gambling involved if you are counting on regular images.

There are other things that may help also.. a strong compensating developer thats very weakly diluted/acting, developed to very low density neg prior to first development, so that the layers suffer, suffer less. With a shortened first developer time.

The process however is already convoluted. I just like to do these things, because everyone will say X about things that are a bit more obscure, but will rarely if ever have a single image of it to go along with their statement.
    Last edited by Athiril; 03-12-2014 at 08:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin