Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,011   Online: 708

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    then print it on ECP (Eastman Color Print) to get a beautiful slide.
    This is something I've thought about trying from time to time. How would you go about printing onto the ECP? I would guess ECP is a very slow emulsion? Would you use a 35mm slide copier or is it a contact print?
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    This is something I've thought about trying from time to time. How would you go about printing onto the ECP? I would guess ECP is a very slow emulsion? Would you use a 35mm slide copier or is it a contact print?
    With movie release prints it's a contact print (eg http://www.rtico.com/bhp/ ), but it seems like a slide copier setup would work just fine too. You'd probably want some way to introduce color filtration (done by coloring the light source in real release print printers.)

Duncan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Anyone want my ECN? I have about 80ft of 500T and I won't be shooting it, it's been in a can since I got it fresh on set. It's less than a year old.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ECP is almost identical to an RA4 paper in the sense that it is balanced for about 50R filtration with a tungsten light for starters. It can be spooled in 35mm cassettes and then exposed using a simple copier attached to your camera. The ASA rating is pretty slow with all of the filtration, so I would start at around ISO 10 or thereabouts.

The slides you get, if done properly, will far exceed any E6 film. This is due to the huge latitude which is impossible with the E6 process.

As for rem jet. We used a sponge to remove it with a Sodium Carbonate solution. The emulsion never touched the solution, just the back. But, I have seen rem jet lodged in emulsion and it is a problem if not done correctly. The particles are very fine and often do not show up until you do an enlargement.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The ASA rating is pretty slow with all of the filtration, so I would start at around ISO 10 or thereabouts.
    I have a large roll of 70mm print film for doing some experiments.
    This material is very low in ASA. Making contact prints under the enlarger needs exposure times of 100-120 sec. with open aperture and a 150W enlarger lamp. RA paper is 20 times more sensitive.
    The problem is that the normal exposure time at professional printing is very short (1/500s?). So you need a very very bright light source. With long exposure times, the Schwarzschild effect will multiply the required exposure time.
    5-10 ISO could be a good value for highspeed printing. But when using a normal lamp, the effective sensitivity would be around 1 ISO or less. I calculated an effective speed of 0.5 to 1 when doing contact prints under the enlarger.
    Maybe my material (Kodak 2383) is less sensitive because of age. I tried all kinds of developers, also self mixed ECP-2 (CD2).
    The best and cheapest solution was using standard RA-4 developer (<1min dev.time), but C-41 will also work.

Joachim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How much of that in 70mm do you have? I'm looking to get my hands on some.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    How much of that in 70mm do you have? I'm looking to get my hands on some.
    2500 feet, 20 pounds in a large metal can.
    I can never use all of it during the rest of my life. I bought it just for playing around a bit.
    I could send you some 100ft but Australia is far from Europe, so I had to check out shipping cost.
    Also I have to check out how to pack it. Maybe I have to buy a tea can or something like that to put it in.
    The film is probably fogged a bit by age. So when overdeveloping it, nothing happens except the base becomes grey more and more. This is no problem for doing negatives or contact prints but may be a problem when using it as a camera film for slides E-6. I never tried this but I guess the resulting sildes could be too thin because the FD will eat too much of the density. I haven't tried it as a camera film. If you are interested, please contact me.

Joachim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jojo;

When I last worked with coatings of ECP, the product was using emulsions similar to the RA paper but was about 1 stop slower than the paper due to being coated on film support. That is where I got the speed estimate. So, under ideal conditions, I made a guess based solely on the paper. IDK how much you have lost due to keeping, but I know that this product does not keep well if it is similar to what I used to use (and coat).

PE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin