Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,707   Online: 926

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Can ECN Film be Used for Slides?

So from what I have found here ECN developer is CD3 and E6 developer is CD3 but E6 developer can't be used in place of ECN developer because it will fog the film (Go find an ECN thread where PE has commented). With all that being said, could ECN film be processed in the entire E6 process to provide transparencies? What is it that would make it chemically work/not work and what practical limitations would there be on the implementation of this.

Septim
    ** This is a purely hypothetical post and I am not planning on finding ECN films just to try this out. **
    Shooting film doesn't make me a hipster, it makes me someone who takes photos...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Of course you can. It'll look somewhat funky, as C-41 through E-6 does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Of course you can. It'll look somewhat funky, as C-41 through E-6 does.
    Would that be due to a negative mask or due to the chemical differences between the ECN and E6 process?
    Shooting film doesn't make me a hipster, it makes me someone who takes photos...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried 500T in E6 chemicals ,and it came out opaque purple,with brown images. Never tried it again
    Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Emulsion differences, integral mask, layers develop to different contrasts with different curves, and don't clip at the same point iirc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got some old 50D (5201) and 500T (5219) sitting here, I can try them tomorrow I guess.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here are two 5201 50D samples, scanned through frontier

With simple level corrections after:

Think I measured about 83 lp/mm @ 75:1 contrast in this process off this, which given the lens' resolution for the aperture I've found, should put the film at approx 100 lp/mm at max (given the right lens) at that contrast.
    Last edited by Athiril; 03-06-2014 at 07:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Process ECN normally and then print it on ECP (Eastman Color Print) to get a beautiful slide. Much better than any E6 product as it has about 2 stops more latitude in images and a Dmax of about 4.0 - 5.0.

Great stuff! Well, that's how movies are made if you use film.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The outdoor shots are really bad, heavily overcast at time of shooting, very blue. They're not correctable like the indoor shot, even though the light from indoors is provided through translucent white plastic in the ceiling from outside light.

I do have Vision Print film somewhere too, and CD-2 for processing it correctly. I just need to go collect it wherever I've left it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Athril, what was your processing like for the 50D? Those reds seem nice and saturated and those blacks deep and inky (on my display at least) - the sort of thing that appeals to me... Also, any chance of seeing those outdoor shots anyway?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin