Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,175   Posts: 1,658,629   Online: 1047

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you think PE may be referring to the concept that Kodak specifically used the terms Stabilizer and Final Rinse to discriminate between two different formulations, and the MSDS may be the best way to determine what the contents are since the naming conventions appear to not be as originally intended, especially when considering third-party products?
    (How was that for a complex-compound run-on sentence?)

Is there a level of formaldehyde that does not require reporting in the MSDS? Could either California or the authors of the document be in error? Could someone simply have noticed the word "Stabilizer," which traditionally had formaldehyde?

The MSDS not listing formaldehyde, but the State of California notes claiming it does contain it, certainly raises quite a conundrum. Assuming the manufacturer creates the MSDS, I wonder which of the two sources knows the contents.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know when I used the 5L tetenal kit a long time ago, the stabiliser contained hexamine instead. Which is formed from formaldehyde, and deocmposes to it in acidic conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamethylenetetramine

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    This kit -consisting of parts A, B and C in two boxes of 6x3L volumes is reasonable for someone like myself who doesnt want to purchase much larger quantities; there is no starter involved with this kit. Would the addition of 5 grams of CD4 to l liter of A and B provide excellent results as with the larger quantities that come with a starter? Has anyone done density reading of a gray card in a negative to compare the color balance and density with a similar negative processed with the original parts A, B and C?
    If you are mixing only 3 liter at a time you really don't need to use the method. Just mix Part A, B and C per the instruction. Store the solution in the bottles as full as possible. Try to use up the solution in a month no more than 2.

C-41 developer and C-41 replenisher + starter are the same. C-41 replenisher is for commercial labs that use it to replenish their working developer solution. They will use starter only when they start from a freshly mixed developer. So replenisher packages are usually fairly large. The one I got makes 4x 10 liters in one box and I bought almost 10 boxes (from a closing lab owner). It will last me 5 - 10 years. All Part C bottles had gone dark brown (black) after 3 years. So I am forced to try the CD-4 powder method and it seems to work for me.

This experience tells me that when I need C-41 developer again I can buy large packages again. I won't need to worry about Part C going bad any more. So if you are only dealing with 3 liters at a time you really don't need the CD-4 powder trick.

By the way C-41RA replenisher, the one I got, is a version that has more (about 1.5 times) processing capacity than non RA version. The box says it makes 4x 10 liters of C-41RA replenisher. When following the instruction to make 1 liter of developer I will need only 700 ml of it, add the correct amount of the starter and add water to make up 1 liter. So the 4x 10 liter of C-41RA replenisher will make up nearly 60 liters of developer for me. This really enables me to shoot a lot of films and saves a lot of hassle dealing with commercial labs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've replenished 1.6L working solution of C-41 for quite some time before stored in a glass bottle with great success.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin