Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,453   Online: 903

Shooter
    Multi Format

Seeking help for Found 126 and 110 Film Developing

Hi,

I have a few years experience with processing both b&w and color 35mm film. For B&W I've used Caffenol-c. For Color(C-41) I've used with either a C-41 "press kit" or Caffenol-c, both with very nice results. This includes old expired found film that I have no idea when it's been shot. I have 35mm down pretty well.

However

I have a few rolled of exposed 126 and 110 instamatic films that I would like to develop. I have tried 126 in the past in both c-41 and caffenol and it didn't come out. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I have a few rolls of: Kodacolor VR, Kodak Gold 200, Kodak 100, and Kodacolor II.

All of this film is obviously expired and some is "found" in old cameras. I would like to use caffenol-c as I feel it's gentle on the film and there is more of a guarentee I'll get something instead of using "hot" 100 degree c-41 chemisty from my "press kit"

Any thoughts?
    All feedback is very much appreciated

Jake

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, when you say the 126 film didn't come out in C41, what did the negs look like. Were there frame markings and numbers but no image in the neg area? Or was the whole neg completely clear?

I have never used a C41 home kit but I have processed C41 films commercially for the last 37 years. From a commercial processor's point of view, C41 a standard process of dev 3 mins 15 sec @38c plus or minus 0.1C so I don't quite understand being "gentle" with the negs. A C41 film is designed to be processed at 38C , expired or fresh. Now I know expired will loose sensitivity with age but colour film has a wise exposure latitude. I would be more worried by how the film was stored and if it was effected by excess heat or damp. The film format shouldn't cause a problem provided you have the correct size spirals for tank developing.

The only time I have seen a gentle approach to developing was where a C22 or Agfa CNS film was developed in C41. If processed at 38C the emulsion will melt (they were designed for 20C processing). So I have heard of some people processing C22 & CNS in C41 at 20C for 20 mins dev and they got good results.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/werra/s...7632297160348/

Let us know how you get on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe your previous attempt was on C 22 film and not C 41.Anything before 1973 is likely c 22.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 126 and 110 that I tried to develop in the past has always been c-41 as per the label. I have followed others on flickr that felt the c-41 chemistry in the home press kit was a bit too harsh of a developer on older film that has an unknown history. Again with caffenol, i have a guarantee an image will appear. I did a roll of kodak 400 in caffenol, 19 minutes, 68 degrees, and got fantastic results. Yet all I get with 126 is brown negatives with barely an image, regardless of chemistry. I do have a spiral tank for both 126 and 110. Thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin