Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,432   Posts: 1,596,842   Online: 1169

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

E-6 Rehal Processing

Alright, so today my 98% sulphuric acid arrived, so I decided to get around to doing this and posting a result.

The process was basically as follows:

E-6 First Developer and First Wash as normal, then B&W Reversal bleach.

This removed the B&W negative, leaving a B&W positive. Was then washed, and colour developed, bleached, washed (possibly didn't wash enough here), colour developed again, and then run as normal from there.

So it got 2 stages of colour development. The highlights are fully clear, with a pink bias, either from staining from not washing enough, or the rehal bleach made some undevelopable halide developable (such as displacing silver iodide to silver bromide?). If that's the case, the film could use a short duration in something like 1g/L potassium thiocyanate to re-clear the highlights in the halide positive to prevent this.

The film was Elitechrome 100. The saturation really is this excessive on a light table. All I've done is correct close to what it looks like on a table, minus the pink highlights (the clouds now appear white, instead of pink) - forgot to bring the original scan back with me to show that, but this will do for now to get an idea.

I don't have normal EBX 100 dMax values to post, but you can probably find them in the Kodak data sheet, the dMax values for this process I got were 4.51, 4.7, 4.29. Which is massive.

I inspected the images after the first colour development stage.. where it had B&W positive stacked with the colour positive.. those also looked quite incredible, and I would like to try that with skipping the bleach.. just fixing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Goodness, Great!!!

Dear Athiril, outstanding Results, thank you for posting.

This is what I hoped to see, if doing this kind of processing.
    It could be worth a try for your aged Kodak EPN too. Of course the results will be much less dramatic than with fresh material…

You could try to add NaOH in fractions to the CD, this should reduce the blue/magenta bias by pronouncing yellow a bit more.

Regards stefan
    Last edited by stefan4u; 03-21-2014 at 01:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like you can give it 1 or 2 stops more exposure.

This is to be expected.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, I have to be careful how I say this because voice tone can't be used.
    I'm asking out of curiosity, as I am truly interested; I'm not being flippant.

Why are you doing this?
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    See it as a successor to the fogged slide thread.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/1...-e-6-film.html

The question is / was “how to boost up contrast and Dmax” and which chemical steps are useful for such an enhancement. Well, that`s my interpretation at least…

Regards stefan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Looks like you can give it 1 or 2 stops more exposure.

This is to be expected.

PE
    There's detail in the blacks, since they're in the original developed image before the amplification, the density is just beyond the scanner, and and also the blacks need to be 'crushed' like that anyway on the scan to show what the highlights to midtone contrast look like because the screen cant display that contrast range that a good backlight through the film can.

Would be great for projection though.

There were some indoor test shots, you still clip the highlights with increasing exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    OK, I have to be careful how I say this because voice tone can't be used.
    I'm asking out of curiosity, as I am truly interested; I'm not being flippant.

Why are you doing this?

Curiousity. I've wondered for a long time what something like this would look like. Also when people suggest ideas, or something would probably be X, you never really get to see any examples.

I want to try some Velvia 50 now, perhaps on a sky alone, or perfectly flat lit object.. maybe some macro work.
    Last edited by Athiril; 03-21-2014 at 08:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, thanx. Sounded similar to that thread and I was wondering if fogging had anything to do with the experiment. I think I've only heard of this with C-41 so far.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin