Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,226   Posts: 1,532,680   Online: 844

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When loading film into a metal reel, run your hand over the top and bottom of the reel (perpendicular to the film) to check if you can feel any film edges protruding. If so, then something is wrong. If not, then you've probably loaded it correctly. I also tend to hold the film, slightly cupped, stationary on one hand and just rotate the reel in the other hand. It seems easier that way for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by duparis00 View Post
    Hey All,

So I got myself a 1L C-41 powder kit from Argentix and decided to develop a roll of proplus II and superia 800 I had lying around. I just finished my first experience developing and the film is hanging to be dried. Good news is the negative looks great, the bad news is when I was spooling the film on the reel in the dark bag, I did it very badly and didn't know it. A lot of the film is warped. I was practicing with a roll of expired film for 2 days and thought I had it...but I guess not.

Anyone have any tricks with using the changing bag or is it just a matter of practice and just knowing by feel that you got it right?
    One small trick is to use thin vinyl gloves of the medical type when reeling film. That makes it easier to handle the film freely.

I also use plastic Paterson reels, which are very easy to use. The only problem I've had was from chemical residue on a reel that wasn't properly washed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Load one film at a time, put it in the tank, close it. Then air out the changing bag and do the second roll.

Or simply develop one roll at a time.

I use Hewes stainless steel reels. With 35mm it's virtually impossible to load them incorrectly, because the film is guided by its own sprocket holes when you spool it. Very convenient and fool proof (my dexterity is not the greatest). The 120 reels are almost as easy.

With plastic reels it is, as many have said, important to have bone dry reels. Humidity from just your own hands inside the changing bag can be enough to cause trouble. I too live in an area that is very humid in the summer, 95% relative humidity is not uncommon. Loading film in those conditions is borderline impossible when using plastic reels of any kind.

You might also try purchasing a film changing tent. The air volume inside the tent is much larger than inside a changing bag, which really helps with the humidity issue. Unfortunately in very low humidity the synthetic material they are made of will cause lots of static electricity, which makes it difficult for sheet film users and the dust situation when they load film into film holders.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Definitely prefer plastic reels myself, changing bag humidity can be a problem but with a lot of practice I generally can get whatever I need to do done before it becomes a real issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use plastic reels, and changing bag.
    The secret I have found with the changing bag and humidity, is I use it first thing in the morning when its cool.

Shooter
    35mm
    So the negatives are all fine but the film is warped. Have I got this correct? The usual problem with a changing bag as others have said is the humidity and the problem this results in is that the film sticks to the reel in places and bends there. The end result is that the area of the film in contact with the reel lacks full contact with the processing chemicals but this in turn affects those areas of the negatives so some negatives are badly affected.

However your negs are all OK?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make the work space in the changing bag as big as possible by putting a cardboard carton in it first. Beer cartons with arm holes cut in them work well for me.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good advice guys, sex and film! lol...I'm doing 2 more tonight, 1 35mm and 1 120. Both expired film so the pressure is off a little, maybe I can do it right this time. Keep you posting.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you want to continue to use steel reels, I highly recommend picking up some Hewes reels. I used to have issued with steel reels until I got the Hewes and my problems disappeared. The loading system is a million times better and very easy. I have used Patterson sets and have definitely messed up rolls with them too but have never had an issue with the Hewes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    So the negatives are all fine but the film is warped. Have I got this correct? The usual problem with a changing bag as others have said is the humidity and the problem this results in is that the film sticks to the reel in places and bends there. The end result is that the area of the film in contact with the reel lacks full contact with the processing chemicals but this in turn affects those areas of the negatives so some negatives are badly affected.

However your negs are all OK?

pentaxuser
    About half of the film is ok the other half have what look like blobs or drops around then, that's probably from the issue you described when I rolled it wrong on the reel. It's also hard getting the film on the film holder of the scanner now. I'm doing some scans as we speak.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin