Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 719

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Ugh...I just massacred some film...

Hey All,

So I got myself a 1L C-41 powder kit from Argentix and decided to develop a roll of proplus II and superia 800 I had lying around. I just finished my first experience developing and the film is hanging to be dried. Good news is the negative looks great, the bad news is when I was spooling the film on the reel in the dark bag, I did it very badly and didn't know it. A lot of the film is warped. I was practicing with a roll of expired film for 2 days and thought I had it...but I guess not.

Anyone have any tricks with using the changing bag or is it just a matter of practice and just knowing by feel that you got it right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is just practice. Saying that though, I prefer not to use a bag. I prepare my reels in the bathroom, with the lights out of course and the door edges sealed. I always put things in the same place so that I can feel my way around in the dark, but I have the freedom or use more space and unroll/re-roll if required.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's mostly practice... and the quality/condition of your reels. What are you using? People who have trouble with steel reels often find the Paterson style much easier. I learned on metal reels and prefer them for the most part, but I have to say I've never had a lost frame using Paterson. When in doubt while winding on, I find it useful to occasionally tap along the surface of the film to make sure it is laying flat; if you feel any unevenness or crinkles, just calmly start over from the beginning. The whole thing should go on smooth-- once you have a feel for it, you can realize very quickly if it is going on wrong. Also, make sure everything (the reels, your hands, etc.) is clean and bone dry before starting.

120 film is far easier to put on a reel without damaging it than 35mm, for what it is worth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Therein lies the problem with spooling film in a changing bag, heat and humidity generated by hands cause problems that can go undetected.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jspillane View Post
    It's mostly practice... and the quality/condition of your reels. What are you using? People who have trouble with steel reels often find the Paterson style much easier. I learned on metal reels and prefer them for the most part, but I have to say I've never had a lost frame using Paterson. When in doubt while winding on, I find it useful to occasionally tap along the surface of the film to make sure it is laying flat; if you feel any unevenness or crinkles, just calmly start over from the beginning. The whole thing should go on smooth-- once you have a feel for it, you can realize very quickly if it is going on wrong. Also, make sure everything (the reels, your hands, etc.) is clean and bone dry before starting.

120 film is far easier to put on a reel without damaging it than 35mm, for what it is worth.
    Yeah I'm using the metal reels I got a large set last week. I was so made I just spent an hour practicing in the change bag again with exposed film and I'm starting to get the feel of it now. I think I was too anxious and nervous and things just didn't register, when I calmed down I was getting it pretty consistently. It's good to know the 120s are easier I'm just about done a roll of 220 as well as an expired roll of 35. Going to try again tonight. Thanks for the tips!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah it definitely got very humid very quickly. Unfortunately I have small condo washroom and it's facing 2 large windows...I just don't trust it enough to black it out. If it happens a few more times though I think I'll have to seek alternative methods though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    It is just practice. Saying that though, I prefer not to use a bag. I prepare my reels in the bathroom, with the lights out of course and the door edges sealed. I always put things in the same place so that I can feel my way around in the dark, but I have the freedom or use more space and unroll/re-roll if required.
    That may have to be my plan B if I wreck a few more rolls. At least I'm shooting with mostly cheap or expired film. If I did it with a portra or a 400h I think I'd be slamming my head against a wall right now lol.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go to the bathroom.

Shooter
    35mm

love that film

It's like making love. Practice helps a lot. And doing it in the right circumstances helps a lot. Doin' it in the front seat of a VW Bug can be done, but I don't recommend it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you wreck any more film, I'd say switch to plastic tank and reels. I have never been able to use stainless without losing at least few frames per roll. Plastic on the other hand has never given me any problems. For most, enough practice allows for perfect results with stainless....but for some, including myself, no amount of practice will help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin