Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,530   Online: 1057

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I got a pack of 20 Astia Quickloads (expired, but allegedly freezer-stored by previous owner) last year (for only $8 plus $42 postage).
    My missus turned 30 last year, so we went to a winery for an afternoon.
    She actually said to everyone "I want a nice memory of a nice afternoon with my two grandmas while I've still got them, anyone else in the family can come if they want".

Mid afternoon, I set up the Toyo and tried to herd 20ish people for a few photos (props to anyone who was a 4x5 wedding photog, herding drunk people while you focus is an art in itself).
    I mangled some shots on APX with my Mod54 (first time i'd used it, was too violent and scratched them).
    Some others on Portra were ok, one of me I was blinking.

But the Astia shot of the missus with her grandmas was absolutely stunning. Scanned and inkjetted to an 8x10 for her xmas present, it's now on display in our living room. Maybe I'll make a bigger one out of it, the detail is amazing, and the colours didn't need any digital tweaking. Too bad there's no way to wet-print these without internegs.

Sigh.
    Now I'm in the same dilemma as you.
    What to do with the remaining 18 frames?

(there's a guy on fleabay keeps trying to sell 20 sheets of Astia quickloads for $140. One day I'll stare at that shot enough, snap, and pay that much for them).

Hah! I have a box of Velvia50 QL in the fridge. I'm considering parting with it, but I don't have the chutzpah to screw someone for it. I'm thinking seriously about selling it, have made a few little squeaks, but nothing solid. I also have three boxes of Ektachrome E100VS Readyloads, but I'll use those, so I'm not is such a hurry to part with them. I'm sure you will find something fitting to do with those eighteen shots.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    One more....

This is my favorite!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craygc View Post
    Just to add a bit more to the overall general sadness...

Attachment 85266
    Holy crap!!!!!

LF? Were movements involved?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Holy crap!!!!!

LF? Were movements involved?

This is 5.30am East Java in Indonesia and is typically referred to as Bromo. The area is the Tengger Caldera with the front central volcano being Batok, the broken one off to the left smoking is Bromo and the large one in the distance is Semeru (highest point in Indonesia). This was shot with a Mamiya 7II and the 65mm
    Last edited by craygc; 03-29-2014 at 11:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This is 5.30am East Java in Indonesia and is typically referred to as Bromo. The area is the Tengger Caldera with the front central volcano being Batok, the broken one off to the left smoking is Bromo and the large one in the distance is Semeru (highest point in Indonesia). This was shot with a Mamiya 7II and the 65mm
    Ahh! I knew I recognized that signature sharpness!

Thanks, and again, what a gorgeous shot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to add a bit more to the overall general sadness...

Attachment 85266
    Just beautiful. Also Astia?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    These are all great shots but I suppose we'd need to see, say, prints of the same scene from Portra or maybe Ektar to see if there is a definable or even indefinable difference

pentaxuser
    In my hands I have never, ever been able to make shots that I considered even half way as good with Portra film. I wish that I could, as this film is still in the shops. But for whatever reason, I havent been able to do so. The colors just are not as beautiful to me. I am meaning to try again, this time rating the film a bit lower than box speed. That's the only thing I can think of that would perhaps improve things.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Just beautiful. Also Astia?
    Of Course ...probably have about one more 5-Pack of 120 left in the freezer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    craygc..
    OH ... What a SHOT!!!

On the one hand it makes me want to cry, and put my camera's away, and then the next, ..
    GO FER IT!!!
    YES!

Shooter
    35mm
    More astia:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img003.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	726.4 KB 
ID:	85293

Seriously if I could live with only 2 films for the rest of my life it would be tri-x and astia. Oh if only Fuji had the heart to restart astia production...
    I have 4 rolls of 120 left and I dont know what I'll do for colour film after that. I like velvia 50 for some things but how does provia rate against astia? Is there any filtration that could reduce provia's inherent 'coldness'? perhaps a warming filter or redhancer?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin