Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,032   Online: 1164

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I just got back a second roll which was already in the mail when I got the crooked slides. It, too, has many of the slides showing the sprocket holes. The good news is that I was able to readjust all the crooked mounts by putting on gloves and just pinching and repositioning. But since their price has gone up as well I will probably try some of the suggestions in this thread. I noticed nobody mentioned Dwaynes. Did they stop developing all slides when they shut down Kodachrome?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heavens no! Dwayne's is where I send my E6 (another shipment to go out a week from Monday). Typically a three day turnaround for E6. Work is always top notch.

See: http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/common/n...Processing.pdf
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Any opinions regarding The Icon lab in LA?-- http://www.iconla.com/main/

I'm thinking of using them for E-6.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I just got back a second roll which was already in the mail when I got the crooked slides. It, too, has many of the slides showing the sprocket holes. The good news is that I was able to readjust all the crooked mounts by putting on gloves and just pinching and repositioning. But since their price has gone up as well I will probably try some of the suggestions in this thread. I noticed nobody mentioned Dwaynes. Did they stop developing all slides when they shut down Kodachrome?
    Dwaynes is the go to place if you want your film to come back streaked and covered with dirt. At no extra charge they will take your photographs of red rock country and print them so that the ground is green rather than red. Furthermore when you send the package of film and prints to be reprinted properly, they will promptly lose them forever. Just ask me how I know.
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 04-06-2014 at 11:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    It sounds like this is one of those things where everyone hates the photofinisher they used to use, while being more or less happy with their current one, and I'm probably on that same trajectory.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Dwaynes is the go to place if you want your film to come back streaked and covered with dirt. At no extra charge they will take your photographs of red rock country and print them so that the ground is green rather than red. Furthermore when you send the package of film and prints to be reprinted properly, they will promptly lose them forever. Just ask me how I know.
    I've never got back dirty streaked or otherwise damaged film from Dwayne's and I've probably sent them at least a couple hundred rolls. The prints from neg film always look pretty good too, especially recently - better than they used to be.

OTOH, their scans leave much to be desired.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    Which Samy's location did you have your processing done at? I use the Samy's in Santa Barbara, but I do not do 35mm mine are all 120 and 4x5. I've had no issue at all at that location.
    fyi, Samy's has lost their Santa Barbara lease (the current building they've been in for the last 10 years has been sold) and will be moving to new quarters later this summer. Unfortunately they will not be moving their Refrema machine. They've sold that machine and will cease E-6 processing on May 2. All E-6 will be contracted out to Swan Labs in San Clemente, CA. The same with C-41 sheet film. They will also cease all of their internal B+W processing in the next couple of days.

I've personally had no issues with Samy's for processing and their prices were very good. Although I've never had 35mm E-6 mounted; always left in a strip unmounted.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Puccio View Post
    I used to use Samy's myself, but switched to Praus Productions: http://www.4photolab.com
    I used Praus for sheet film transparency and Dwayne's for my 35mm slides, I like that they use paper slides, does Praus use paper or plastic?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    fyi, Samy's has lost their Santa Barbara lease (the current building they've been in for the last 10 years has been sold) and will be moving to new quarters later this summer. Unfortunately they will not be moving their Refrema machine. They've sold that machine and will cease E-6 processing on May 2. All E-6 will be contracted out to Swan Labs in San Clemente, CA. The same with C-41 sheet film. They will also cease all of their internal B+W processing in the next couple of days.
    Indeed a sad note. I've been using them since AI stopped E-6 at their LA office about 4 or 5 years ago now I think. Samy's presently has a load of 120 & 4x5 E-6 as well as 4x5 B&W of mine in their shop. Hard to keep up with the changes anymore, seems weekly instead of the once a year thing.......UGH!
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format

Try North Coast Photo

I develop all my B&W myself but I send all my C-41 and E6 to North Coast Photo (http://www.northcoastphoto.com).

They are great in customer service, quality, processing times and price.

I'm in Miami and I used to developed at Dale Laboratories but I had a bad experience with them.

A few examples from my last batch:

Pentax 67II - SMC 67 105mm F/2.4
    Velvia 50
    OOC/no PP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pentax 67II - Velvia 50 (3).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	86197

Name:	Pentax 67II - Velvia 50.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	86198

Name:	Pentax 67II - Velvia 50 (4).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	86199

Name:	Pentax 67II - Velvia 50 (1).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	86201

Name:	Pentax 67II - Velvia 50 (2).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	86200

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin