Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,938   Online: 996

Shooter
    Medium Format

Do I need the pre-bleach?

Well I went out and ordered up some Kodak e-6 chemicals before they vanished. I picked up 1st dev, reversal bath, color dev and fixer. I mix up my own bleach (quinone),so I figured I didn't need the pre-bleach, since that works with the Kodak bleach.
    Now am I right in this, and do I rinse between the color dev and the bleach,or go straight through? I also have the starters for the developers,so that's ok

Thanks
    Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm... from what I understand the pre-bleach is used because the formaldehyde in the stabilizer was switched out due to exposure control regs. Hence stablizer became 'final rinse' (photo-flo and miconazole).

I believe the pre-bleach now contains some chemistry that generates the formaldehyde 'in-situ' and thus is needed for maximum longevity of the resulting chrome.

I guess I'll be corrected if wrong!
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use formalin in the final rinse, so I should be ok. I had forgotten about what it actually did. I am pretty sure PE mentioned it somewhere.
    Thanks
    Rob

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you should follow both first and second developers with a stop containing both acetic acid and bisulfite, and follow the stop with a rinse to eliminate possibility of contaminating the following solutions, and you must not use the same stop bath for both. That is, you need to have a first and second stop bath.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Common E6 bleaches are very benign and, according to patent literature, will speed up if you use a prebleach. There's a good chance that you won't need it with your (much stronger) Quinone bleach, especially if you provide another source of Formalin. Read here about the purpose of Formalin in E6 processing.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mts View Post
    you should follow both first and second developers with a stop containing both acetic acid and bisulfite, and follow the stop with a rinse to eliminate possibility of contaminating the following solutions, and you must not use the same stop bath for both. That is, you need to have a first and second stop bath.
    The way I do E6 is from Kodak except I use a quinone bleach ( I think you gave me the formula). It has the 1st dev then a 2min wash with water, reversal bath, color dev,prebleach,bleach,fix ,wash and then stabilizer with formalin. I was thinking of substituting a similar water rinse between the CD and the bleach especially if the prebleach is only taking the place of the formalin rinse at the end. I would like to keep it as simple as possible.
    Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That would be good. So at worst I would have to extend the time in the bleach. I have had to re-run the bleach and fix steps at times, I think due the bleach aging. I use Photo-flo /formalin mix that PE recommended as the last step. It does pack a punch though especially indoors. I usually hang up the films in the evening and quickly retreat upstairs until the next day.

Rob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin