Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,832   Online: 1071

ziyanglai

Velvia 50 100ft. bulk roll. Worth the hassle?

Hi everyone. I recently found a 100 ft. bulk roll of Velvia 50 in 35mm format expired 1999 but refrigerated. If I do my math right, I should be able to get around 20 rolls of 36 exposure and 30(?) rolls of 24 exposure. So that's about $3.50 per roll. Is it worth taking the risk of expired film (again, refrigerated) and the hassle or dust, scratches, and maybe light leaks?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually you'll find that, practically speaking, you can squeeze about 18 rolls of 36-exposure from a 100-foot bulk roll. And less if you like to fill short rolls (less than 36). The leaders take up more than you might think, even if you are careful to minimize them.

In the past I've bulk loaded large amounts of 35mm b&w and never had a problem with dust, scratches, or light leaks. But then I'm pretty careful. YMMV...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like it's worth $80+ on eBay. Pre-loaded rolls of the same film sell for $5-7 each and you will never be sure of their provenance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You wont know until you test it. I got some expired Provia 100f, but only exp in 2006 in 220 for cheap, seller said it's only useful for loading practice etc, but it came out fine even without modification.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin