Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,944   Posts: 1,557,718   Online: 1240

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

C41 120 developing mess up, photographer or developer?

Hey all, after spending ages convincing my mrs to let a photographer shoot some film at my wedding (and then finding one who was willing to do it) , Ive struck a bit of a bump.

One film roll i got back from my local photostore (who I beleive use a machine for processing) the first 3 and the last 3 photos are ruined in some way. Some look kind of solarised, and if it was just the first part of the roll i would have guessed that the photog let it unspool a bit accidently. But as it is both ends of the roll that are affected can anyone else give me an opinion as to possible errors during developing? Im not familar with commercial 120 processing.

The film was a fresh opened box of portra 400, out of date by a couple of months. The other 3 rolls came out fine.

http://imgur.com/a/QQKai

thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've never seen that kind of affect from loosely spooled film, which I've gotten a lot of. Worst I've gotten is light leaks.

It looks like a processing problem. AFAIK the only thing you can do to try and fix it is rebleaching and refixing and crossing your fingers.

Shooter
    35mm
    I´ve had very similar problem with the first frames (usually two or three) when my c41 film was machine processed by a commercial lab. I have always wondered what the cause could be, but could not find a clue. Interested to hear what people here think.

Shooter
    35mm
    Im pretty disappointed, and my mrs is not very happy. I dont think I'll be able to convince my next wife to have film shot at my next wedding. Its weird, the effect is different on each end. One end solarized and the other end colour shifted eventually to black. Even the writing on the edge of the film is faded to nothing.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have no clue. The only thing I can think of is that someone opened a machine when he shouldn't have, thus solarizing the film inside during developing?
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I believe its a processing fault. I saw something extremely similar occur in a Noritsu V50 roller transport machine in 1999 when a fellow I was working with didn't tape both sides of a leader card. Film bunched around the 8th crossover which leads to the dryer section and the processor needed to be opened to clear the problem it caused damage to other films in the machine and resulted in similar defects to what you show here with some frames of films.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks steve, I didnt want to accuse either party without a second opinion. The photog recommended dip and dunk and ive used vision image in the past but I felt better supporting my regular guy who apart from some dirty films ive never had trouble with in the past. He is a super passionate dude, but I cant say the same for his staff. I might mail and see what he reckons.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is a light leak after shooting (during loading or during processing).
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think that your lab should have volunteered information on what happened to the film.

Unless the photographer fumbled when loading an unloading the camera.

Shooter
    35mm

Did you say

Did you by any chance say "lomo" to the guy when you handed him the film for processing? Your grandkids will think the photos are extremely cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin