Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,682   Online: 1163

Shooter
    Large Format

Duplicating negatives.

Whats the easiest way to duplicate a 4x5 sheet of Provia to B/W neg?

I want to print a photo I took on Provia, but print it B/W.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    plate holder in place of paper in enlarger focus on darkslide.

Use light yellow for clouds...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact printing would give you the best sharpness. Do you have a contact print frame?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Whats the easiest way to duplicate a 4x5 sheet of Provia to B/W neg?

I want to print a photo I took on Provia, but print it B/W.
    You asked for EASIEST so I'll mention the use of ILFORD positive printing paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Contact printing would give you the best sharpness. Do you have a contact print frame?
    I have a few, but only as small as 8x10. I can try that.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have had good luck with both contact printing and projecting printing color transparencies to black-and-white film.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since most enlargers won't do sub second exposures reliably, you will have to use some slow B&W film to make that copy, stop the enlarger lens way down (diffraction blur won't matter if you contact print) and possibly think of some ND filters. One more thing to consider is light fall off to the sides. Make sure the light spot from your enlarger covers a much larger area than the area where your film stack sits in, and hope that the center of that light area has somewhat even light distribution.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Your post doesn't make sense. Provia is a color transparency film. Is this what you have in mind as your original? But then you want to make
    a black and white negative from this? Correct? So you want to make a black and white internegative, not a duplicate, from a chrome. You can do this either by contact or projection (to enlarge the original). Several panchromatic sheet films will work, FP4+ being a convenient one.
    And you can apply contrast filters to the exposure just like when using contrast filters with black and white film outdoors, except that your
    light source will now likely be tungsten-balanced. Regardless, you need to do some testing to come up with the correct exposure and development time. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might try putting a sheet of fresh film under the Provia sheet in a film holder and then exposing it in camera, aiming the camera at a featureless light source (like a light box) with your lens wide open and set on infinity. I have used a barrel lens (on a Speed Graphic) with the elements removed, leaving only the aperture blades so that I could meter but not focus, if you get my meaning. I've done this to make positive transparencies and it worked great. Admittedly, the contact between the two sheets will not be absolutely perfect, but I haven't had any problems.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin