Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,655   Online: 898

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just last week I got a film back from the lab that was completely black! Including the frame numbers and brandname markings...all black.
    I'm pretty darn sure the problem was not at my end of the film handling....the images were precious too...

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven´t yet failed or had black/blank roll. Everything has been good so far, but I still cannot figure out how on earth do I always manage to scratch the best frames of my 35mm films, or if I don´t scratch them I get water marks that would not go away even with isopropanol. I´m getting so frustrated I would trade this for a blank roll once in a while.

Shooter
    35mm
    Firstly sorry for the late reply!

Thank you so much for all the comments, tips stories and mostly for making me feel less of an idiot!

The roll itself is completely transparent. It's just as if theres nothing on it. To be honestly I had put it completely down to the fact that I had had the back of the camera open. I never thought it could be anything else. I doubt the wrong chemical process was used it was colour film sent with two other colour films. They were sent away to what I think is a pro lab as well. With clear instrustions as to what had happened.

Having used my camera for some years now I can tell when its got to the end of a roll. I had that feeling but then stupidity tried again just to see. It let me wind on again but I'm pretty sure thats when really I should have rewound. I'm guessing doing that lead to me pulling the film out of the canister.

Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    This once happened to me the film came out of the cassette while I was shooting a wedding as the official photographer, so I can sympathise with you, ever since that day I never take more than 33 exposures on a 36 exposure film and it's never happened again in more than 20 years to me, so it does work.
    This is what my dad's advice was! I think I'll definitely be doing it in future! Though this incident started with me not setting the counter back to zero! Hopefully I'll never forget that again.

I think the thing that gets me is I take alot of rolls that really I could bare to lose, that could be retaken. They might be of records we own or charity shop finds or local walks. The one I managed to ruin was of an overnight trip to Manchester and had the only photos I have of my boyfriend and I together on it. It was pretty heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    It doesn't hurt to own a simple dark bag, even if you don't develop or load your own film. There is always that time when you have to open your camera in the dark and you'll will be happy when you are prepared.
    This would have been invaluable to have and I'll certainly look into getting one.

I'm still finding it hard to let go but I've got more film in my camera so I guess I just need to get back to shooting now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by girlafraid View Post
    F
    The roll itself is completely transparent.
    Nothing at all?

I'm sorry to sound a bit of a broken record, but are there no edge markings visible, and is the leader blackened or at least darker?

It's rather important, as if there are no edge markings visible, and it's a colour film, then it hasn't been developed before bleaching, whereas if there are edge markings but no exposed frames, then that points at camera or user error.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by girlafraid View Post

The roll itself is completely transparent. It's just as if theres nothing on it. To be honestly I had put it completely down to the fact that I had had the back of the camera open. .
    When you say the film is completely blank do you mean that there is no numbers or any kind of manufacturer's identification in the margins such as the words Kodak or Fuji and the film is clear or are you saying "blank" as in no pictures but each frame has a dark orange /brown colour?

If there is nothing there at all and it is visually clear then I can only think of one cause which is that the lab used bleach and fix on the film first instead of developer but this seems very unlikely but not impossible. If the processing was done properly then there should be writing on the film edges. I have never seen colour machine processing in action but presumably if your film was the first of the day then it might be possible for the operator to programme it wrongly, then discover the mistake and confine the damage to your film alone or it might affect a lot of others' film in which case a lot of others will be complaining but of course the lab is unlikely to tell you this

If there are numbers and writing in the margins then none of the film was exposed during the shooting but if this is the case then I'd have expected the first part of the film which was exposed to daylight when you wound it on to the taking spool at the start to have the dark orange/brown colour.

You might have exposed the film when in the nearly dark room extracting the film and if the lab then bleached first this won't be apparent but as I say this is highly unlikely.

When you went into the nearly dark room to salvage the film and opened the camera back was all the film free of the original cassette and had to be pulled free of the taking spool?

I confess to being somewhat confused about what happened. Can you scan and show us what the film now looks like?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flibble View Post
    Just last week I got a film back from the lab that was completely black! Including the frame numbers and brandname markings...all black.
    I'm pretty darn sure the problem was not at my end of the film handling....the images were precious too...
    Was this a B&W film? The edges of the film called rebates which are outside the film frame should be clear with black frame numbers and writing to indicate the name of the film

If all the frames are black like the film leader then the film was exposed to daylight before processing. If your film was wound back into the cassette by yourself then this suggests that the lab wrongly exposed it to daylight before processing.

If you need help with this can I suggest you scan the film that you got back and start a separate thread to avoid us dealing with what may be two different problems on the same thread

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the offer of help, but I think you described exactly what happened, Pentaxuser. It was a roll of Rollei Superpan 200 in 120 format by the way
    Dropped off another roll yesterday. We'll see what happens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Check your rewind knobs! I noticed once (and of course, after 20+ shots) that it wasn't rotating...
    Real curious how people keep ripping the rolls off the spool, I've went full force at the end of a roll on my Nikon F2 and not damaged anything

How did you get the film to the lab if it came off the spool?
    I'd keep a reusable film cassette (or even a used roll with about an inch of film on it left) and a dark bag incase it happens again
    Just go in your dark bag/ darkroom, tape the remains to the inch of film and rewind the whole thing in

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flibble View Post
    Thanks for the offer of help, but I think you described exactly what happened, Pentaxuser. It was a roll of Rollei Superpan 200 in 120 format by the way
    Dropped off another roll yesterday. We'll see what happens.
    Are you sure they're not dunking your B&W stuff into color chemicals

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That would've left the film clear, wouldn't it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin