Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,020   Online: 902

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Something I have done at London airports - Wear baggy trousers and slip a few rolls of film into the pockets. This only works with 120 film and limited quantities of boxed sheet film

The security oiks are too busy concentrating on getting my belt through the scanner - Nylon webbing, plastic buckles, zero risk, but because it holds trousers up, it has to be scanned....

Shooter
    35mm
    Does the OP realise where Delta-3200 is made? I assume so, hence this implies that there is a massive difference in film-prices between the Precision Camera, or Freestyle, and European outlets. Freestyle D3200/120 is about $7, AG it's about $9, Maco it's about $8. The price difference is approximately the size of the 19% tax here on film.

If you are very worried about the cumulative effects of x-rays on the material, just buy and develop the film here. If you know which hotel you are staying at, then make your film-orders online and have them delivered to the hotels. Take a tank, a changing-bag,a graduate and some neg-sleeves with you, buy chemicals with the film and develop each evening - or buy some mailers from IlfordPhoto (or another lab) and have them develop the film - before you have it x-rayed again.

Forget about having film "hand-checked". In practical terms, it won't really happen at a public location. Your bag will be x-rayed at international transport hubs (air or train) and also many museums, hotels, or tourist-locations and occasionally even some shops or restaurants.

Edit: Note that the linked instructions for Heathrow do say that hand-checking might be possible, but you should to book in advance through a professional photographic organisation and then it is at the discretion of the staff. Make sure your travels are at low-traffic times of the day and with long changeovers. Book months in advance.
    Last edited by MartinP; 04-25-2014 at 06:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a shop in London called Silverprint which stocks a massive range of materials. It's worth a visit for just a look and chat. Martin Reed who has taken a bit of a back seat in its running as I understand things, used to be a contributor here. No need to bring any film with you at all. We are only quaintly third world in Hollywood films or more recently "baddies with Cockney accents". Neither is reality.

The great thing is that this shop is willing to sell to CONUS residents even when they are not in CONUS. Sorry couldn't resist based on another thread

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I bought my 120 b&w and color film in Italy, (Venice and Rome), had it developed there. MUCH less stress!!! You WILL have your film X-rayed at Heathrow-- coming and going, and the jerks at Heathrow are a major PITA,
    they are obstinant and very annoying, self-important asses. Ask me how i really feel!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm always amazed at how many times one submits to x-ray inspection at European airports. Entering Munich airport from street level, I had an immediate x-ray, another x-ray when reaching the floor with departure and retail, and a third x-ray before boarding the aircraft. At O'Hare, I only get one x-ray and US FAA rules mandate a hand inspection when requested. Unfortunately, the EU rules have no such liberty for photographers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by argyrotype View Post
    You WILL have your film X-rayed at Heathrow-- coming and going, and the jerks at Heathrow are a major PITA,
    they are obstinant and very annoying, self-important asses. Ask me how i really feel!!
    In that case I withdraw what I said. We do have "baddies with Cockney accents" The Hollywood producers obviously had the same experience as yourself

On the other hand it is just possible that the jerks at Heathrow had tried to buy an item on APUG that was CONUS only and this affected their normal affable behaviour.

Seriously some people who are born PITAs succeed in getting jobs that suit their outlook on life. They speak all languages and live in every country on the Earth unfortunately

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Everything said here is true in my experience: traveling in Europe, you WILL be required to run film through x-rays. 80% of time airports have refused my requests for hand checking. That being said, I have never had any issues with fogging, although I also only shoot ISO400 and below (mostly ISO100). I suspect that Delta3200 would be OK for at least a few passes through the x-ray machine, but if you are bopping around a ton, I would strongly consider pushing a 400 speed film instead.

I always buy all my stuff in the U.S... while prices aren't terrible some places, I've never found something that competes with B&H/Freestyle prices.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Alright so it's not sounding like I would have very much fun carrying delta 3200' which really sucks since it's my favorite film lately!

I could try to take everything with me and develop as I go, but I feel this might take time away from being with my girlfriend etc.

I'm actually just landing in London in the morning and then take a train to Paris later the same afternoon. I had thought about purchasing film in London bit didn't want to spend the time on my limited trip. It also sounds like right after I purchase it they will try to make me X-ray it on the train!

Maybe my best bet is to give up and shoot delta 400 pushing when necessary. Wouldn't pushed films have similar issues with fogging?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It seems the general consensus is that the film shields just encourage X-ray techs to increase the intensity.

Would such a bag at least get by museum and possibly train inspections?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have traveled all over Europe and beyond, always with my camera, many time with rolls of Delta 3200, always had it X rayed, and never had a problem with fog or whatever. I really wonder whether these two pages of hysterical warnings here are based on practical experience or just propagated myths.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin