Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,840   Online: 1074

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The EU VAT-tax and custom fee is gained by EU customs on arrival in EU-Europe, even on things for personal use.

But the excepted quantity (value) of personal goods should be enough for the common traveller.

Anything you send apart (by parcel) will be taxed as common import good, thus not fall into your excepted quantity.

The main issue may be to decide what falls under the baggage (free anyway) and what under the excepted quantity of additional personal goods.

A lot a traveller should know can be found here:
    http://ec.europa.eu/index_en.htm
    Last edited by AgX; 04-27-2014 at 02:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a heads up when going through Munich security will go through every piece of gear that you have if it's film, open the body look on the lenses, check the action on the shutter. Probably thinking you have some James Bond gadget in the camera that can take down a plane. So just expect to be stuck in the security line for about ten minutes, I've been through there about four or five times and it happened to me every time.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Agx, guess I will find out when I get there.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    bring all the film you want, and have it hand inspected.
    thats what i do, high iso, low iso, sheets, rolls, paper even ..
    just don't put it through with your luggage

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My plan so far is to just bring it all, request a hand inspection when I can and not sweat when I can't. As long as I can minimize the number of passes hopefully I'll be ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay,got it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    One more idea I have is to check with British Airways about getting a hand check.
    From heathrows site about film:
    We also advise that special arrangements can be made for photographers carrying professional film (ISO 800 and above) by prior arrangement with their airline or airport.

It's a long shot but so far british airways customer service has been helpful to me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
    Come on! I don't know what category of hotel or restaurant you want to visit in Europe. My bag never was x-rayed in any shop, hotel or restaurant during my whole life.

This all seems to be a UK problem. I don't know what idiots are working at the checkpoint at Heathrow. Naturally, all these thousands of film photographers would block air traffic completely, if all of them wanted hand checking.
    In Germany and most other countries I never had problems with hand-checking my films.
    Naturally you have to come at least 30 minutes earlier and hope if there is not a long row of people. This checking is 5 minutes: In a back room, they have a kind of "explosives and/or drug sniffing machine". They put 1 roll of film into it, wait for the result and that's it.

Joachim

Lucky you. I've been instructed to x-ray hand-baggage, cameras and film at Weese and at Dusseldorf airports - these are the only airports I have ever used in Germany. Same for Heathrow, Gatwick and Speke in UK and assorted holiday airports in Spain and Turkey. The hotels and restaurants I have visited with security gates have been in France, Italy, and Egypt (which is outside this thread of course). That was some ten years ago, but recently I have changed jobs and become poorer...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I normally don't eat in top restaurants or stay in 5-star hotels. Maybe that's the reason.
    But there could be such checks in countries where they have problems with terrorism at tourist places.
    I would aks the guys checking it by hand, even if there is an x-ray machine. They are mostly too lazy to do it, that's it.
    Most important is: Smile, be friendly, take enough time, explain what you want in a friendly but exactly way.
    If they are not cooperative in any way, call for the boss. If the boss is not cooperative in any way, call for the boss of the boss.
    In most cases (if the whole procedure took enough time and trouble for them) they let you pass.

Joachim

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I talked to British Airways and they said they will note on my ticket that I will be traveling with film. I don't really know what good that will do me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin