Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,957   Online: 760

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Longevity of coulour v. B&W prints

It may seem a strange question but how do colour prints compare to B&W (not toned) for longevity if both have been washed a fixed correctly and both hand printed. Which would last the longest.

Thanks,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on the medium. Old fashion paper based prints fade very quickly in light, newer RC much longer, Fuji claims 75 years for crystal archive. Cibracrome/Ilforicrome 40 years, dye transfer 75 years or longer. I still have color prints that my father took in the 50's that are holding up, and I have prints from the 60s and 70s that show no fading at all. My early cibracrome look as good at the day I printed them.

Regards

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    It may seem a strange question but how do colour prints compare to B&W (not toned) for longevity if both have been washed a fixed correctly and both hand printed. Which would last the longest.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Your question fails to establish certain important parameters. The first would be the type of color process the second would be the characteristics of the black and white image. By that I mean RC or Fiber. Silver Gelatin, Pt/Pd, or inkjet. All of the foregoing would be considered black and white images.

If we were to assume that you meant silver gelatin printed on fiber paper compared to conventional color images then the silver gelatin print would last longer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry for the vagueness, I meant RC B&W and standard colour prints from negs (not cibachrome).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just my guess but...
    RC B7W i believe will still have an edge because it is silver infused where as the RA4 image is produced via dyes.

Eventually the surface will deteriorate on both.

Shooter
    35mm

Just a guess

I would rather put my faith in a properly processed Crystal Archive print than I would in any untoned B&W RC print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak is now making claims that the endura papers have even longer shelf life than CA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm with Claire. Silver is more susceptible to attack from gases in air than the dyes in color prints. An untoned, unframed B&W print hanging on my fridge door is showing discoloration after a couple of years, something I've never seen in color prints. I now treat my prints with Sistan, but haven't used it long enough to know if it makes a difference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin