Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,926   Online: 1043

Shooter
    Medium Format

C41 film with lots of embedded dust --- will re-rinse help?

I had some a couple of rolls of C41 film more or less ruined by a lab, they came with lots of dust and dirt embedded in the film, so it will be impossible to print these negatives in an analog process which is what I planned to do.
    I would really like to avoid to have these scanned and printed digitally ... I am thinking about re-rinsing the film again with a couple of water changes ... Anyone done this? Will it help or am I doomed?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
    I had some a couple of rolls of C41 film more or less ruined by a lab, they came with lots of dust and dirt embedded in the film, so it will be impossible to print these negatives in an analog process which is what I planned to do.
    I would really like to avoid to have these scanned and printed digitally ... I am thinking about re-rinsing the film again with a couple of water changes ... Anyone done this? Will it help or am I doomed?
    If, as you suggest, the dust and dirt is actually embedded in the emulsion, I'm a bit doubtful that just a rinse will remove the problem effectively. If you try, I'd guess a drop of wetting agent in the water would do no harm.

If the pictures are important, you might have to grit-your-teeth and accept that digital printing would be the best option.....as you say yourself, it seems it will be impossible to print in analog.

(Also the final "wash" in the C-41 process is a Stabilizer bath, which is said to protect against fading and preserve the emulsion. Water rinses might remove such protection.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the feedback and also to the PM from Ian. The outcome so far: I re-rinsed one of the less "important" rolls, changing the water frequently and agitating vigorously. I had some stab solution left over from my foray into home developing C41 a couple of months ago, so that wasn't a problem. The result is, that it seems that some of the dust specks have gone, others have just moved an inch or so on the surface of the film. So it seems that the dirt can be removed from the emulsion, which is good news, but it seems that quite some directed force (water flow) is necessary to actually accomplish this. As part of the rolls are already cut up anyway, I will probably re-rinse only the frames that I actually plan to use than rather whole rolls.

The background is that I was one a three week shooting trip to Japan and while I would normally just have brought the film back to have it developed at my lab of choice here in Germany, I found it critical this time to see some preliminary results to decide on further shooting necessary. So I checked out a local lab in Kobe and they seemed pretty trustworthy, the owner being quite involved in analog photography himself and offering workshops on film photography ... Also the price for development was not actually cheap (pro lab level), so I had some confidence ... I had some great service from photo labs in Japan in the past, but this time I ran out of luck ... Good news is that the more important part of the rolls was developed perfectly at my preferred lab here in Germany ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin