Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,247   Online: 1047

Shooter
    Multi Format

aviphot chrome 200/ agfa 200 slide film/ wittner-cinetec slide film. 1 year update

i bought a bulk roll of this a little over a year ago. partly to get bulk roll slide film, partly to check out the claims of the bad yellow claims by others about the single rolls of this and partly to play with. the last roll I shot of this was about aug of last year. came out great. found some bulk rolls of provia, bought them and then used those for daily snap shots. I put the aviphot/agfa in the freezer with the rest of my film.

now go ahead to last week. had some free time and wanted to shoot some film, but not interested in using any expensive (now all e-6 film is expensive) film, so put the film in the fridge. next day took it out and let it come to room temp like i do with all my film, for a few hours. rolled up 2 rolls and went out. had 8 rolls of slide film to develop, so its time to get em done. I did 3 rolls of provia and three rolls of velvia in addition to the Agfa.

well, shit. the aviphot/agfa is yellow! really bad. the leader was a bright white when taken out to dry. not sure why as I'm still a novice when it comes to that stuff. so now, i'm trying to take a guess as to why.

its not storage as nothing like this has ever happened to me. and its been stored with a lot of other film which did not have this problem. my only guess could be.....? not sure. I'll let you people with more experience throw out ideas. But it looks like the last 30 or so feet of this film are bad. mabe save it for teaching my kids how to use the bulk loader and load film on reels. its a shame as the film was perfect for every day snaps.

I would suggest that anyone who buys this film in bulk, 120 or 35mm individual rolls is to shoot it within 6 months of purchase, based on the rolls I shot. otherwise, stay away.

john

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure what you were doing. I don't think this is a freezing issue, but as you hinted at it:

-) you bought that Aviphot Chrome last year in the 100 feet conversion from Wittner
    -) put it in the freezer last year
    -) put it back in the freezer last week (where was it inbetween?)
    -) took it out again 1 day later, exposed, processed it and got yellow result and white leader.

What do you mean by white leader?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Or maybe try it cross processed in c-41 and see if you like that?
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've said it before, this is a light piping issue. If the leader got completely exposed as it sounds like it did, them the whole roll could be effected. Try another roll but load it into your camera in the dark. I but it will be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    its not light piping issues. its just yellow tinted all over the frame on every frame. I have seen light piping and this is not it

I'm gonna shoot a roll later this week with a cooling filter on it and see if that can help a little. I was able to get rid of most of the yellow in PS, but i shoot slide film to project, not to scan.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin