Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,580   Online: 1159

Shooter
    Multi Format

Jobo Colorline 7000, Success!

This is the 2nd time I print RA-4. It was not very successful the first time around.

The paper is Fuji Super Type C, 8" roll paper I cut with paper cutter to 8x10. The paper was last shipped from warehouse in 2008. The chemicals I use is from CPAC, Trebla ColorPAC RA-4 package. The chemicals are several years old, but still sealed. I'm using a Saunders 4550 XLG.

The first time, I was using the ColorStar 3000. It was confusing since the paper is a little outdated and the RA-4 chemicals were probably even older. I started with test strips without the color analyzer. But I was not going anywhere. So I plugged in the ColorStar 3000. To get the color right, I printed like 30 of the test strips to calibrate the color analyzer. But the grey paper came out was not really grey. I was never able to get real grey test paper. Probably I did not control the chemicals well since I re-used the chemicals and the replenishing process was not controlled.

This time, everything is about the same, but I'm using the Colorline 7000 color analyzer. I printed 2 test strips, but it is not success with the color. I started with filter set at Y50/M40, then Y70/M60 and Y90/M60. Color still on the red side.

Then I connected the color analyzer to calibrate it. I only needed 5 test strips (one is unexposed) and got grey paper the 3rd and 4th time. At the 4th test strip, the calibration ended by itself with final value of 54 56 54 53. And I got real grey paper.

Then I used this channel to test print a random negative from a friend. The test strip came out very nice. The colors are correct, but over-exposed by about 1 stop. I figure this has to do with the way I used the probe. I'll adjust the way I select test points next time.

I think the Colorline 7000 is better than the ColorStar 3000. Jobo says it can arrive at calibration very quickly and this is true. The other thing I improved is the chemicals. This time, I made 2 liters of RA developer. I made 1 liter working solution with the rest as replenisher. I do not re-use the working solution, but save it in another bottle. After I use all the working solution, I'll replenish it and re-use it again. This way, I'll get the consistence I need.

Getting colors right can hugely save time and effort. Now I still have several rolls of paper and all the chemicals, I need to spend more time printing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	87272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	87273
    Last edited by RedSun; 05-03-2014 at 01:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spent a little more time with the Colorline 7000. The grey print and the calibration are still stable. I also copied the color settings to other channels and set up war tone and portrait, similar to what Francis did as described in her writeup. This time, when I analyzed the negative I chose about 9 points instead of the fewer probe points I did the first time. This time the exposure time is cut by 3 seconds. The print came out really nice, better than the original print from lab.

I figure this is similar to what the labs print their color prints. They calibrate the print machines, analyze the negative on the fly, then printing. All is automated. The quality may not be optimal, but most are good quality.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    I figure this is similar to what the labs print their color prints. They calibrate the print machines, analyze the negative on the fly, then printing. All is automated. The quality may not be optimal, but most are good quality.
    Generally, labs that make optical prints may make machine-analyzed test prints from negatives, but they are usually only in the ball park, and then an operator steps in and makes final corrections. If no operator adjustments are made, the results, at least in my experience, are not so good. The lab does not usually have grays to analyze so must scan a whole negative, strip, or roll. As such the machine alone's quality is quite variable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For most of the consumer photo center, I do not think the operator is involved. The machine and the chemicals are calibrated and tested on a regular basis. Then the film developing and printing are automated. Take a look at the Costco photo and you'll know it. No one is going through negatives one by one. Machines can do amazing jobs....

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The resulting quality may be just fine to the average consumer but odds are most prints could be improved significantly. I know--I have operated the machines before.

Shooter
    35mm

How to use the self calibration fearture

I have the Jobo colorline 7000 analyzer, how do you use the self calibration feature, it is not to clear to to me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the instructions for colorline 5000 and colorStar 3000 too. They follow the same procedure in doing the grey card calibration.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin