Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,216   Online: 786

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    Well, I double-loathe them for also killing Provia 400X and Astia. At least I have still 5 rolls of Reala 120, 5 rolls of Astia 120, and 3 rolls of 400X 120. The problem is shooting it on something really worthwhile.

But back to the OP: I think Ektar is as close as you are going to get.
    I triple agree with you there, especially with Astia. I have 20 rolls of 220 Astia left and 20 or so rolls of Reala, which I can still buy here in China but who knows for how much longer.

I also loathe Fujifilm for killing off Neopan 400.......Oh god........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ekta100 for landacapes and Portra160 for people.

But really, truly, the C-41 films aren't much less than the E-6 and I would stick with Provia100f if I were you
    This is one of those difficult things. Negs are inherently lower contrast than slides, and it takes post processing after scanning to get more or less the same look, but never quite identical. OTOH, neg film can record several stops more dynamic range, and handle under and over exposure a lot better. Slides crash into the abyss of blackness 3 stops below mid-gray, and burn out barely more than 3 stops above. Someone who is used to slides will find the neg films a bit insipid, and might not like the task of bumping the scans into the right sort of tonality. But I think if you know what you are doing, you can get further with negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterboy View Post
    Is Reala available in GB?
    I'm not sure if it is officially discontinued, but several retailers are still selling it
    http://www.mailshotsuk.co.uk/acatalo..._roll_fil.html
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoakin1981 View Post
    I entered the word "current" because I believe some if not many have been discontinued in the past so I am referring to existing choices. As to the word "best" of course this is subjective but nevertheless.

I am looking for a good color 120 film in case I decide to substitute Provia 100F for reasons of both cost and reduced DR. In my mind I would like to get strong saturated colors as close to a slide as possible.

Thanks.
    I think that any of the big three should be technically adequate for you.

Which one you prefer depends on you aesthetic preferences, and to some degree the subject matter.

Just get a few rolls of Ektar, Portra and 400H and try them out i typical situations.

I also have a weakness for Superia, but it's not everyone's cup of tea I guess.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Beg, borrow, or steal some Reala before it is gone forever. Seriously, this is one AMAZING film. I loathe Fujifilm, absolutely loathe them for killing it off.
    My main focus is Velvia50 and Velvia100 in 4x5 and 8x10. I won't buy discontinued emulsions anymore, I want to support the film that is being made to keep it going.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing about The Fuji Corporation that I despise is their public statements about their undying commitment to producing films, and within a few weeks they've discontinued half of their range.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    My main focus is Velvia50 and Velvia100 in 4x5 and 8x10. I won't buy discontinued emulsions anymore, I want to support the film that is being made to keep it going.
    I doubt if the amount you will buy will make a snowball in hells difference, they'll discontinue them anyway.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    OTOH, whats the point of buying discontinued film? So we can gnash our teeth that we'll never see it again?
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I triple agree with you there, especially with Astia. I have 20 rolls of 220 Astia left and 20 or so rolls of Reala, which I can still buy here in China but who knows for how much longer.

I also loathe Fujifilm for killing off Neopan 400.......Oh god........
    This I agree on, oh Neopan400....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I doubt if the amount you will buy will make a snowball in hells difference, they'll discontinue them anyway.
    Yes actually, I do... A penny is a penny, but if many thought like me about that issue, there would be more money coming into the company for new films and could be just that extra boost that helps get them over the next quarter hump...

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    OTOH, whats the point of buying discontinued film? So we can gnash our teeth that we'll never see it again?
    Exactly, why specialize on something and study an learn it's characteristics full well knowing you won't be able to get more at some point soon, at least with currently produced emulsions you have a chance.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin