Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,021   Online: 802
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Let me guess: there are no visible crystals on your film surface, but white drying marks that look the same as the patterns on a glass surface where droplets of tap water were left to dry. I have the exact same drying marks when I use too much Ilfotol in my black&white final rinse, so excessive concentration of wetting agent in that STAB bath is the likely problem.

    Either make your own STAB from Formalin and a tiny amount of wetting agent, or dilute the STAB you have 1+4 and add some Formalin.

    PS: you did use distilled water for making your STAB, yes?
    Hi. Yes, I used distilled water for all three baths plus the stabilizer. I shouldn't have any "hardness of tap water" issues. Now I'm just assuming I should dilute my 1 liter of stabilizer into two, and use it for half of the suggested rolls. I'll probably experiment next week when I have some more time.

  2. #12
    Rudeofus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,640
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    Hi. Yes, I used distilled water for all three baths plus the stabilizer. I shouldn't have any "hardness of tap water" issues. Now I'm just assuming I should dilute my 1 liter of stabilizer into two, and use it for half of the suggested rolls. I'll probably experiment next week when I have some more time.
    Make sure you add some Formalin (should be available in well stocked pharmacies), lest the extra dilution diminishes the bactericidal/fungicidal activity of your C41 STAB. You can test optimal dilution with small test clips, just dilute more and more until there are no drying marks. You can add any amount of Formalin as it leaves no residue. Caution: Formalin is volatile and both toxic and a carcinogen, so handle with appropriate care!
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Europe
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    31
    Hi I am using this set for developing my films, mix 1:9 (25ml stab +225ml water) as per manual and I use tap water. This should be working for 15 films, I usually use it for 10-12 films.
    never had this problem. Maybe your stabilizer is old? Try to mix it again in clear bottle

  4. #14
    Rudeofus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,640
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by pdmk View Post
    Hi I am using this set for developing my films, mix 1:9 (25ml stab +225ml water) as per manual and I use tap water. This should be working for 15 films, I usually use it for 10-12 films.
    never had this problem. Maybe your stabilizer is old? Try to mix it again in clear bottle
    I accidentally mixed my STAB with tap water once - never again, the drying marks even showed up in prints and scans

    Either your tap water is unusually soft, or your STAB maker found a compound that would bind Ca2+ into a volatile compound. My bets are on the first option ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

  5. #15
    ala
    ala is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    16
    Hi! Did you make the experiment?

    I am using Digibase c41 as well. Was really surprised by the suggestion about the wrong proportion in the manual in this thread...

    I made 1 litre mixing 100ml of the STAB with 900 ml of a distilled water. After soaking the film in it I wiped it with a film cotton cloth, which was also soaked in the solution. The film came out with no marks.

    Now I am curious if I can add twice more water and get the same result. Please keep us posted with the result of your experiment!

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    137
    Using the Digibase C41,another tip that seems to be helping:

    Immediately after pulling film off the spiral, I get it into the filtered airflow and orient it so the drops start falling laterally to one side of the images.
    With 120, I hold the ends of the strip in a bow and tap the edge of the strip fairly vigorously against a plastic covered surface.

    With 135, I cut the strip in half and holding each horizontally,in turn shake them in the air.
    The idea is to encourage the drops to fall to one side of the strip before they start to congeal.

    When the strips visibly have no drops, it is safe to hang the strips vertically to dry for a few hours

    If the film strip is pulled from the spiral and immediately hung vertically, the drops run down, getting more concentrated with sticky solution as they dry, so the images at the lower end get more problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin